Slow or no?

Awhile back, someone here described the water in pics like in #1 as looking milky and I think that's a pretty accurate description. Not only that, it looks like it's being pumped/shot out of a nozzle at a very fast rate with all it's straight lines. The water in #2 flows gently and is more 'crystal like' in appearance, it has more like a crystal bead curtain effect over the rock underneath it compared to a shear curtain effect in #1. the realistic water also seems to have layers where the milky water looks flat. Crystal is the clear winner, IMO . (excuse the pun) I must say though, in milks defense, a grilled cheese sammich isn't the same without it. Don't let my opinion stop anyone from being creative and having fun, keep on clickin' in the free world! :icon_camera:
BTW, both are very nice pics. What a lovely place! Looks like something out of a fable. An enchanted forest, if you will.

Last edited:
Both nice, but I prefer the 1/500 exposure image. I think the sharper water looks more interesting as it shows more details of the turbulence and flow

Thanks. I lean toward that one as well.

Beautiful spot! I know it's not, but the leaning rock face really messed with me. I kept wanting to tilt my screen. LOL personally I prefer the slow, because it seems to have just a tad more richer color, detail in the shadows and less noise. Also less people in the slow.

I struggled straightening this one because nothing was level. I used the camera level when shooting but may have been off by a bit. In the end I used the pool of water and the railings to straighten it. it could probably go a smidge in the other direction and be correct but then the slopes rocks make it look off.

I like both. I really prefer the slow, silky water but sometimes the water stopping fast shutter is good, especially with things like close ups of fountains.

Thanks!

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

Thanks for the input!

I prefer the slow! My c&c is that the wb is too cool. What a gorgeous location and shot!!

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I do tend to prefer a cooler wb. I shot this using the Fuji Velvia film simulation which I think has a slightly cooler wb than the straight Fuji look. This is a jpeg that I lifted the shadows a bit and also used a preset filter in Snapseed app that may have cooled it off a bit.

This location is gorgeous and so easy to get to. It can barely be called a hike. It’s really a mostly paved handicapped accessible trail that is less than half a mile from the road to get to the bottom of the falls.

Oh wow I didn’t realize this was film! Love!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Handheld??? Great job. I think they both have their merits so too hard to pick which one. The XT-2 did a nice job on the film simulation. I need to try those out.

I think in this case I prefer the soft water in the first shot. I like the sharp water better in the first fall of the second shot but when it reaches the second fall it is more distracting.

Awhile back, someone here described the water in pics like in #1 as looking milky and I think that's a pretty accurate description. Not only that, it looks like it's being pumped/shot out of a nozzle at a very fast rate with all it's straight lines. The water in #2 flows gently and is more 'crystal like' in appearance, it has more like a crystal bead curtain effect over the rock underneath it compared to a shear curtain effect in #1. the realistic water also seems to have layers where the milky water looks flat. Crystal is the clear winner, IMO . (excuse the pun) I must say though, in milks defense, a grilled cheese sammich isn't the same without it. Don't let my opinion stop anyone from being creative and having fun, keep on clickin' in the free world! :icon_camera:
BTW, both are very nice pics. What a lovely place! Looks like something out of a fable. An enchanted forest, if you will.

Thanks for your input. Yes a very enchanted place!

Both nice, but I prefer the 1/500 exposure image. I think the sharper water looks more interesting as it shows more details of the turbulence and flow

Thanks. I lean toward that one as well.

Beautiful spot! I know it's not, but the leaning rock face really messed with me. I kept wanting to tilt my screen. LOL personally I prefer the slow, because it seems to have just a tad more richer color, detail in the shadows and less noise. Also less people in the slow.

I struggled straightening this one because nothing was level. I used the camera level when shooting but may have been off by a bit. In the end I used the pool of water and the railings to straighten it. it could probably go a smidge in the other direction and be correct but then the slopes rocks make it look off.

I like both. I really prefer the slow, silky water but sometimes the water stopping fast shutter is good, especially with things like close ups of fountains.

Thanks!

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

Thanks for the input!

I prefer the slow! My c&c is that the wb is too cool. What a gorgeous location and shot!!

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I do tend to prefer a cooler wb. I shot this using the Fuji Velvia film simulation which I think has a slightly cooler wb than the straight Fuji look. This is a jpeg that I lifted the shadows a bit and also used a preset filter in Snapseed app that may have cooled it off a bit.

This location is gorgeous and so easy to get to. It can barely be called a hike. It’s really a mostly paved handicapped accessible trail that is less than half a mile from the road to get to the bottom of the falls.

Oh wow I didn’t realize this was film! Love!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No not film, Fuji has several film simulations built in to the Xt2. You can shoot directly in the film simulation mode or convert a standard raw file to any of the film simulations in camera (Velvia, Classic Chrome, Astia etc.).
An Introduction to Fujifilm’s Film Simulation Modes

Handheld??? Great job. I think they both have their merits so too hard to pick which one. The XT-2 did a nice job on the film simulation. I need to try those out.

Fun to play around with. For flowers/landscapes I shoot in Velvia most of the time. For portraits I go back to Provia standard.

I think in this case I prefer the soft water in the first shot. I like the sharp water better in the first fall of the second shot but when it reaches the second fall it is more distracting.

Good input thanks.

I was looking at some long exposure waterfall images on Flickr - and I think one factor in making effective use of the long exposure is the length of the 'fall' of the waterfall.

A short drop creates the rapids/babbling brook look which I think suits a short exposure to freeze the features. Whereas a long drop works well with long exposure as the water is spraying in a range of directions, and so creates the 'fairy-tale' look of white feathered spray.

Blur or not is a creative choice and everyone has a preference, I can go either way. However my personal feeling is go one way or the other, no in between. If sharp I want it razor sharp, if blurred I want it blurred enough that there was doubt that was my intention and not a missed focus.

Which do you prefer? Also c&c welcome.

This is Sabbaday Falls a very popular spot off the Kancamagus Hwy in the NH White Mountains which is one of my all time favorite places to be. These were hand held no Nd filter, Xt2 with the 18-55 at 21mm. The slow shutter was a 1 sec exposure at f/22, ISO 320. The other was at 1.500, f/4.5, ISO 4000

Slow
Sabbaday by SharonCat..., on Flickr

No
Filling the pool by SharonCat..., on Flickr

It depends on what you want the picture to convey. But, if it were me doing the selection, I'd probably go for the first, slow speed, shot. It adds goes with the 'softness' of the scene.

I've shot Sabbaday falls a number of times but, since I was using a view camera, a fast enough shutter speed to 'freeze' the water was not in the cards.

Oh wow.... I was led to believe that the pictures like in Pic 1 was how it was supposed to be....

I like both but #2 for me.....

A really nice place to be.... I will look for something that I took a long while ago in this thread. I didnt have any ND Filters or stuff to get a milky looking picture.

The "no" for me. It gives me a better feel for how the water actually moves down the cascade. And very nice for hand-held.

Oh wow.... I was led to believe that the pictures like in Pic 1 was how it was supposed to be....

I like both but #2 for me.....

A really nice place to be.... I will look for something that I took a long while ago in this thread. I didnt have any ND Filters or stuff to get a milky looking picture.

I think the slow shutter waterfall is more of a challenge so maybe more popular? I didn’t use a ND filter but it was dark enough in the woods at that time of the morning to do without.

The "no" for me. It gives me a better feel for how the water actually moves down the cascade. And very nice for hand-held.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

Most reactions

Back