Slow Shutter Speed

Northsider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Nikon D40x. I want to try to take nighttime photos and other photos with a slow shutter speed. However, when I set it to like 1" or slower the pictures come out really bad. In the day the photo is just all white, like way too much light got in. And during the nighttime a similar thing happens with just way too much light (even for nighttime).

I assume there is a setting to control the amount of light exposure, along with the slow shutter speed. Any directions? Thanks

Can you post an example?

The only thing I can think of with that slow a shutter speed is camera shake..

Are you using manual mode? If so, you need to adjust your aperture setting too, maybe ISO as well. Also try S mode.

Hi, northsider. A basic exposure primer for ya.

E = i x t

E - exposure
i - intensity of light (aperture)
t - time (shutter speed)

In order to maintain an average exposure a specific combination of aperture and shutter speed must be maintained. If your subject requires, say, f/8 at 1/125th of a second and you wish to change these settings, you must make reciprocal adjustments. If you advance your shutter speed to 1/250 then you must open up your aperture to f/5.6. More light (i) x less time (t) = E. If you slow your shutter speed to 1/60, then you must stop down your lens to f/16. For each one increment change in exposure you make in one direction, you must change the other setting equally in the other direction. I have an example of this on my website https://home.comcast.net/~flash19901. An article explaining basic exposure and also an article on the EV (exposure value) index that might be of good assistance. Hope it helps to understand what your camera is doing. Keep on clicking.

You're not using the camera's meter properly.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I will try to post an example when I get home tomorrow night.

when doing night shots with long exposure make sure to your iso down to 100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back