Slowly going the way of the buffalo...

M

MDowdey

so lets start a debate!!

Ive been having photographers block for a month and a half. ive come to the realization that i hate my camera because it uses film. i want to go digital, but of course money is always an issue....for all u digital users...what camera do u swear by? clean crisp shots with alot of creative control. now...for all u film users...should i go digital?

tawk amungst ya selves!!!

md

No, Matty, No! Don't leave us! :cry::cry::cry:

You love black and white, right? Film is the one true way to crisp beautiful b&w. Digital ain't got it.

Truth is stronger than pixels. 8)

Hi Matt!
I think you know darn well that there's only two digital cameras worth considering at this point (unless you have megabucks which you've mentioned you don't have) and that's the Nikon D70 if you've Nikon glass already or if you own Canon glass then the 10D or possibly the 300D.
We knew we could lure you to the darkside and this from a digital guy who's considering a film camera and mostly dislikes B&W!

im formulating a plot here...

what if i kept my old film camera, and got a digital!!! YAY!!

any thought?

md

I still have both. There's some things film still does better than digital, and probably will for some time.

In fact, I think I'm going to shoot some film this weekend.

I'm really happy with my 10D. I do miss futzing around with old film cameras, but it was such a chore for me to get prints from film that I liked. I find that I shoot more with my digital than I did with film. I'm a lot more relaxed with it. Film became a chore. I wasn't having fun.

I don't know if this would apply to you. If you are a darkroom geek, obviously not, but I hated working with chemicals and being in the dark.

photobug said:
I still have both. There's some things film still does better than digital, and probably will for some time.
word.

especially with medium format.

I like digital cause it's oh so easy to try new things and see immediate results. With color it's so much easier control the final product using slides and digital. I was already on a digital workflow by scanning slides. The D70 takes away so many steps and cuts down on my time spent processing. Having the ability to fine-tune the white balance negates the need for color correcting filters. It'll take me 3000 photos to get my money back in what I would have spent on film and processing.

I'll always shoot film. With sunsets, film reigns. Digital is notorious for blowing out highlights. Worse than slides. I still love shooting and printing b&w.

Most of the film I shoot is medium format (and soon 4x5)

I'm with what seems to be the consensous here. I love my digital camera and the ease it gives. But it'll never be able to replace shooting a good roll of film, struggling to get it onto the little reel, shaking that little plastic tube for 20 minutes, and then pulling out something with pictures on it. Not to mention the hours i get to spend trying to get that perfect print. I love being a darkroom geek. If you've gone digital just hang out with someone in a darkroom and you'll be back in no time. Plus film kills digital in b&w. So in short, while digital is a lot more convenient, faster, etc. You just don't get the same satisfaction as with chillin in a darkroom for hours.

As far as what camera to get. Honestly, all these major camera makers know what they're doing. Some are better at some parts and other are better at others. But all in all, it really matters who is behind the camera. I'd say go to a local camera shop, try out whatever brand glass you have. And unless you just really hate it, go with it.

tr0gd0o0r said:
If you've gone digital just hang out with someone in a darkroom and you'll be back in no time. Plus film kills digital in b&w. So in short, while digital is a lot more convenient, faster, etc. You just don't get the same satisfaction as with chillin in a darkroom for hours.
You don't get the satisfaction, but that's the whole point: everyone is different. I experienced nothing but frustration. Digital blows film out of the water for me. I don't care how many points a person makes about film being better. If I'm too disgruntled with the process, I don't make pictures. I'll take a workflow that I enjoy and can produce with anyday. And while it isn't the same as film, I'm quite happy with my B&W output. I've had people mistake my work for fiber prints.

Im currently on the Film team. But I confess, this summer Im going go digital... but Im still going to keep my SLR. If you feel like your missing out not being in the digital world whats better than keeping your film camera and getting the best of both worlds.

For me, the advantages are being able to see your prints in less time it takes for you to get them developed. And then theres the shots that you dont like and think to yourself, well I just wasted 8, 9, 10 frames of that film (maybe thats just me that wastes film :oops:) That way if I take crappy photographs, theres no evidence of it, I can try different things out and if they dont come out the way I wanted them to I can just delete them.

Dont get me wrong, I love film, and I know Ill still use my SLR after I go digital, but you got to change with the times sometimes

Someone who knows the ins and outs of using an enlarger the way Keith Black knows big-blocks.
That's a pretty tall order since he's like the Ansel Adams of horsepower.

I experienced nothing but frustration.
This happened to me years ago so I just put everything away for a few years. Now I'm back and doing nothing I used to and all the things I wanted to do in photography. Threw out the technology factor and now take pictures for the experience as a whole. Instead of stressin' about f/stops, color saturation, and focal lengths, I actually stopped to smell the flowers, listen to the wind, and just chill.

It'll be different for everybody but you have to ask yourself why you're taking pictures. If you're not having fun, take a break and let life show you something new to photograph.

that's my two cents, and you can keep the change :p

It wasn't taking the pictures that I was frustrated with, but mixing chemicals, having an hours worth of work ruined because I slipped, and a bunch of other things. It was exactly the technical factor that was ruining it for me but in the darkroom. I hate taking notes while working. I just want to work.

I fully appreciate that others love the darkroom, and I think that's great. What I don't understand is how so many people don't seem to understand that I don't love it, and it's not because I don't "get" the darkroom. I just plain don't like what it involves. I hate it. I guess I'm just tired of people not accepting that and thinking that I don't like it because I haven't given it a chance, and trying to convince me otherwise.

MDowdey said:
so lets start a debate!!
There's really no debate because it comes down to what process you like. Some people really like film while others like digital. As for you MD, I believe you already own a Nikon SLR so if money is a factor then stick with a Nikon DSLR. If you are looking into digital without interchangable lenses then that's a huge market. Try going to dpreview.com to read up on the specs and testings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back