Slowly going the way of the buffalo...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by MDowdey, May 20, 2004.

1. malachite

malachite Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

That's a pretty tall order since he's like the Ansel Adams of horsepower.

This happened to me years ago so I just put everything away for a few years. Now I'm back and doing nothing I used to and all the things I wanted to do in photography. Threw out the technology factor and now take pictures for the experience as a whole. Instead of stressin' about f/stops, color saturation, and focal lengths, I actually stopped to smell the flowers, listen to the wind, and just chill.

It'll be different for everybody but you have to ask yourself why you're taking pictures. If you're not having fun, take a break and let life show you something new to photograph.

that's my two cents, and you can keep the change :p

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It wasn't taking the pictures that I was frustrated with, but mixing chemicals, having an hours worth of work ruined because I slipped, and a bunch of other things. It was exactly the technical factor that was ruining it for me but in the darkroom. I hate taking notes while working. I just want to work.

I fully appreciate that others love the darkroom, and I think that's great. What I don't understand is how so many people don't seem to understand that I don't love it, and it's not because I don't "get" the darkroom. I just plain don't like what it involves. I hate it. I guess I'm just tired of people not accepting that and thinking that I don't like it because I haven't given it a chance, and trying to convince me otherwise.

3. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

There's really no debate because it comes down to what process you like. Some people really like film while others like digital. As for you MD, I believe you already own a Nikon SLR so if money is a factor then stick with a Nikon DSLR. If you are looking into digital without interchangable lenses then that's a huge market. Try going to dpreview.com to read up on the specs and testings.

4. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well put, are we supposed to force tomatoes on people that dont like to eat them. Its all a matter of personal choice.

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not darkroom geeks. :lol:

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds like the perfect solution.

By the way, there are now counties in western Kansas that have many more bison than people. The bison are coming back, and all the people are dying or moving to the bigger cities. When I am truely a crusty, old fart this is where you will find me and my LF film gear.
    :eek:ldman:

7. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're right, sorry about getting kinda preachy in my previous post. Everyone should go back and mentally change all my yous to I (i won't do it cuz it would make Markc's post look wierd) . Sorry I made assumptions about other people's views

8. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does someone with decades of experience and teaches at the university level count? He's not Ansel Adams, but he knows what he's doing.

I hand the bare print to him, he spends a minute looking it over, looks at me and asks, "Is this fiber?", then remembers how I work and says, "This is digital?!" in an incredulous tone. He then tells me that it's very close to a fiber print (and he probably has the sharpest eye for such things out of who I know). I think the paper I used was thinner than what he was used to for fiber paper. Maybe other people could tell. I don't know. But once it's behind glass, I have yet had anyone know that it's digital without me telling them.
    http://www.piezography.com/exhibition-printing.html

I understand that people can only judge based on their experience, and most people have not experienced good digital b&w digital prints. I just would like people to have an open mind about what else is out there that they may have not seen yet.

9. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Part of your success may be the fact that you started out with film, have darkroom experience, and know what a good b&w print is supposed to look like.

A lot of people snap a shot, click the desaturate button in photoshop and think they have a masterpiece.

For me, I have a 4mp Olympus that takes great pics, but it will never replace my film cameras.

10. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, tr0gd0o0r.

11. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

I've been shooting with a Canon 10D and absolutely love it. As a matter of fact, it gets better everytime I shoot with it.

Recently I picked up a Mamiya RB 67 and have been shooting 6X7. I thought it would up my game...but it really hasn't. I mean I love looking thru ground glass, but on the shoots where I've taken both cameras...the 10D has come out the clear winner. Maybe I'm just not good at medium format yet, but the digital pics have blown away the mamiya ones. Especially when you consider that I can fire off 250 shots in the time it takes me to reload the mamiya!

I'll probably keep it for shits and grins...but it won't be my work horse.

12. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

With all due respect, I disagree. The last time I set foot in a darkroom was when I dated a photographer in college and had no idea what the difference was between a point-and-shoot and an slr. I have some 'bought' prints hanging on my walls, as well as a couple of mine (all b&w). Me, personally, I can't tell the difference. Neither can anyone else...they're always shocked to see my signature on the ones that are mine.

That being said, there IS more to it than simply desaturating a color print in PS and calling it good.