SLR vs. DSLR

vweeks5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone not shoot digital now? What are the pros and cons of both? I want to get an SLR in the near future, so which ones should I consider to start me off?

Does anyone not shoot digital now? What are the pros and cons of both? I want to get an SLR in the near future, so which ones should I consider to start me off?

You are asking strangers to write a book specifically for you without knowing anything about you.
You might consider reading some of the voluminous existing sources first.

I didn't ask for a book, just a couple pros and cons. And a few starter SLR's.

Film Pros: Dynamic Range, aesthetic quality, cheaper start up cost
Film Cons: Cost, Time between shutter actuation to developing stage, decreasing accessibility

Digital Pros: Accessibility of images, availability of equipment, cheaper to maintain in the long run, ability to change your ISO
Digital Cons: Steeper start up cost, lack of dynamic range, somewhat steeper learning curve (because of the tech, not learning exposure)

Starter DSLR's:

Canon T2i, T3i

Nikon: D3100, D5100.

DSLR or the Digital version of SLR is basically an SLR that has been converted from saving the image in film to saving an image in a memory card.

If you are seriously considering film; good news! The price of very good film cameras has dropped significantly, to the point of now one may purchase a used high-end camera for less than the cost of a new DSLR with all the bells and whistles.

Go to a very reputable local camera dealer, and see what is available. Usually used cameras are warranted for a short time, which is enough time to test it thouroughly, and after that, it is probably going to keep on working, providing you don't damage it.

While you're thinking about it, check the cost of film and processing.

I still shoot film about 50% of the time. Digital is fine if you are looking for quick turnaround time, but digital looks "plastic" (at least to me) compared to film. Film has a certain charm to it that digital will never be able to duplicate. Also, shooting film requires a much deeper understanding of light, exposure, etc., because you don't get "instant feedback" on your images before they are processed. Film requires you to slow down and take your time. But shooting film means you have to have access to a darkroom, which is an additional cost and a rather steep learning curve. But on the good side, digital has been the best thing for film photography since film itself. One can now get top notch film cameras and lenses for very good prices. I shoot a lot with my Hasselblad and I love that I can now afford CZ lenses I could never afford before!

If you are looking for a good 35mm SLR you can't go wrong with something like a Nikon FM2 or FE2. They are built very robustly, far better than practically any DSLR (Nikon's included unless you go up to the D3 or above) and will last a lifetime if you take care of them. Also, older AI and AIS Nikkors are still some of the best lenses ever made and are still plentiful and affordable.

Last edited:
I shoot both ... though primarily Digital.
My Film 35mm SLR uses the same mount as my DSLR so I can share lenses.

I still use Film as I started with that medium, and I like developing/printing it myself (B&W).

Pros of Film (over Digital) ... not sure if there are, as I think this is a personal thing.
Cons of Film ... cost of film/developing ... no instant results.

If you are going to shoot film, have some lab develop it, then scan it ... why bother.

Do you have any lenses ? I shoot Canon digital but also shoot fgilm on an EOS5, and a Zorki 4 rangefinder and also shoot 120 film with a Mamiya C330 which it great fun to shoot

I shot slides, color neg, and B&W neg for years but, I wouldn't go back. I like the instant gratification of digital. You can shoot 1,000 shots and not spend a dime on processing and look at all my shots on a huge monitor. I can also crop, change the color balance, etc. etc. I couldn't do any of this with color film. Digital has its' drawbacks like anything else, you just have to learn how to work around them. I do think there is a place for amateur B&W but as far as color? I don't see any reason for an amateur to dabble in color film other than just wanting to know about it, or it is better for them to express them selves.

Alright so I'm buying a Digital SLR soon, but there were very valid points made stating film SLR's require and show more of a mastery of light. How would you guys go about choosing? I want to shoot high speed shots and night shots.

I don't have any lenses. This will be my first SLR purchase.

vweeks5 said:

I shoot film only. I do have digital cameras, but I never really use them...

I enjoy the film "process". Digital just isn't "fun" for me. And for me, fun is what it's all about.

Alright so I'm buying a Digital SLR soon, but there were very valid points made stating film SLR's require and show more of a mastery of light. How would you guys go about choosing? I want to shoot high speed shots and night shots.

I really want to know why you are even thinking of getting a film SLR.
What has attracted you to Film ?

I really want to know why you are even thinking of getting a film SLR.
What has attracted you to Film ?

I for one applaud his desire to get into real photography. Yes, I just said it, silver halide based photography is real photography. So many people who have never used film, especially including processing and printing it themselves, do not have nearly as good a grounding in the process and some of the basics of photography. I see it all the time. There is a whole different mentality shooting between shooting film and "shooting" dgital. For one, no film cameras have a instant preview LCD (so there are no instant "do-overs") and you don't have essentially limited image supply. Film forces you to slow down and think a lot more about what you are doing. The ultimate expression of this concept is the view camera. I love shooting 4 x 5 but I simply do not do it enough to justify the substantial outlay in not only camera and lenses but also an enlarger that will print 4 x 5 negatives. Maybe some day before sheet film goes away entirely.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back