Small Medieval Church

goooner

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, hope everyone has had a good festive period. I've not been posting much due to a heave work load, but will try and make time for this wonderful forum more next year. Took these shot on a recent walk in southern Germany.

I'm pretty new to B&W processing so any c&c will be appreciated. These are panoramas, stitched in LR and processed in Silver Efex Pro 2, and then tweaked in LR again. Not sure if I went over the top.

#1 4 vertical stitched

#2 2 horizontal panos
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Dm1NKz]
[/url]

I like the b&w conversion, but for me use of a wide lens like that with asymmetrical conversion of vertical lines is less acceptable.

Thanks for looking, I think I see what you mean. Will see if I can correct it.

Hi. Converging vertical lines are acceptable. Not everyone like it but even great AA was shooting some specific subjects this way. However his sense of aesthetics, and I agree on that, demands high degree of symmetry. Like in jcdeboever thread "Comerica". Wide landscapes seldom deliver suitable subjects for this kind of work. Your pic #1 has that potential. Medieval looking church, graveyard, intense sky, leafeless trees. With a little more work around this subject may deliver horrorlike drama. #2 is too wide, with random elements in it not connected to the central subject like the whole right side with shed and road. IMHO.

One of the joys of mediaeval churches is that they were not usually built to exacting standards and over 800 - 1000 years, the buildings have settled and moved. We have a rather spectacular cathedral in Lincoln with three towers - all three point in a different direction. I have learnt not to worry about verticals with churches (they are one of my main subjects).

Goooner, any chance of you photographing the insides? I have never seen inside a German church and would love to. Interestingly, the tower is what we English would call a Saxon tower and most of them here got replaced by Norman and Gothic towers. I only know of two that remain. Also, the tower is half way along the south wall, where the English tradition is in the middle of the west wall.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
@John, unfortunately it was locked. One could call up and get the key, definitely planned for the future. Germany really does have many churches. Many Baroque and Gothic though. It was 4Km hike up a hill, and I did not feel like taking my tripod. Girlfriend would also not have been impressed-lol

yeah they look much better adjusted for vertical. I like #4 a lot. good conversion.

Thanks, on looking at it again, I find it a touch dark. Silver efex makes B&W conversion easier imo.

All you need now is a Teutonic Knight to show up mounted on his battle horse!

(I like 3 & 4)

Cheers,

Enezdez

Most reactions

Back