Small towns in Rural Manitoba in the late 70's

dllb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These have been scanned in from some old slides from the late 70's. During the 50's, 60's and 70's, many rural people moved from small towns to Winnipeg to get jobs. These slides were taken in a couple of small towns not too far from Winnipeg and are a pretty clear evidence of the exodus from the rural towns.

Many of these small towns were only a few blocks wide off of the main street. Some may have been built up on one side of the main street only.

img348-1.jpg

img351-1.jpg

img349-1.jpg

img350-2a.jpg

img352-1.jpg

img347.jpg

The long hot days of summer create some beautiful clouds.

img343-1.jpg

A couple of fields near the towns. The sunflowers seemed to stretch forever.

img353.jpg

Wheat stocks after being harvested.

img338-1.jpg

What a great series, have you got any taken recently so we can see if its changed at all?

lostprophet said:
What a great series, have you got any taken recently so we can see if its changed at all?

Thank you but I am afraid I don't as I now live in Calgary.

Maybe you should make it a long-term assignment to go back after 30 years and look if, and if so in how far things have changed ;). You like to travel, don't you? Well, there you are :D.

This is a nice series and I really like that enormous Main Street (that is a fun picture), and most of all the summer clouds! Immediately followed by the sunflowers.

LaFoto said:
Maybe you should make it a long-term assignment to go back after 30 years and look if, and if so in how far things have changed ;). You like to travel, don't you? Well, there you are :D.

This is a nice series and I really like that enormous Main Street (that is a fun picture), and most of all the summer clouds! Immediately followed by the sunflowers.

Thanks, and I do indeed like to travel and that sounds like a great idea.

A really great series. :thumbup: Modern day ghost-town. It would indeed be interesting to see what it looks like today! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back