"Smart" Lens Adapter.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jcskeeter, Nov 23, 2011.

1. jcskeeter

jcskeeter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Feel free to shut me down right away on this but I got to thinking.

Why doesn't somebody make an adapter (i.e.: Nikon->Canon) that has a conversion chip to allow for autofocus? This is probably a very nieve question but I thought I'd throw it out there. I know that there is AF beep chips and so forth.

Is the wiring and connections just so much different? Are the autofocus "brains" in the camera different?

Thoughts?

2. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Yes

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I wonder about how different the two systems really,truly are. Nikon made the TC-16A autofocus tele-converter that converted manual focusing Nikon lenses of f/2.8 or faster to autofocusing, and it works amazingly well. I have one...it snaps manual focusing lenses right in to focus. I "think" it might be possible to mount Nikon lenses on an adapter that would bring AF to the Canon body, but the lens diaphragm action would be fully manual. The TC-16A will not work on "all" Nikon bodies. No matter the technical feasibility, a cross-platform adapter with autofocusing action is quite unlikely to be made.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Derrel do Nikon bodies use a mechanical aperture control on their lenses? Otherwise if not and its all electronic signals it should be possible to make an adaptor that would allow full control over any lens brand - of course the problem is that you have to reverse design the interface controls; and add to that the fact that the companies probably vary these on a lens by lens basis as they come off the production line and go through new generations, so its probably a nightmare of small changes that you have to spot to get most lenses to work.

Honestly it must be a coding nightmare otherwise I think we would have seen more of them - maybe not Canon/Nikon but certainly it would be good to see the m4/3rds getting proper controlling adaptors

5. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This sounds like engineering a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crollo

Crollo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That doesn't make any sense. Are you really suggesting that there would be no problem buying a $300 lens with sophisticated autofocus, that doesn't autofocus?

7. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Ummmmmmmmmmm, No.

8. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

The wheel has been invented. No reason to try and re0invent it. When you start talking about good glass, Canon and Nikon pretty much have the same thing. Just as easy, why not put a Ford motor into a Chevrolet body with at Dodge transmission and Toyota wheels? No real need to.

9. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No. I'm saying there aren't hordes of people demanding to be able to put Nikkors on their Canons and L-glass on their D3s, all the while asking for complete and total functionality.

10. belial

belial TPF Noob!

I would go for it. Since canon hasn't come up with a decent 35mm other than the L lens while Nikon has the 1.8.

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You've clearly not heard about the wide angle super lens that Nikon makes which has some Canon shooters using all manual adaptors or even buying a Nikon just to get to use. I also know a few who shoot wildlife and when the option of changing systems comes up to them its often the cost of replacing good glass with good glass which is where they lose out to the manufacturers - if they just changed bodies and mounted an adaptor they'd probably be shifting brands a lot more.

12. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit

Which would be what fraction of a percent of serious shutter-snappers?

I'm not claiming nobody would be interested in such a critter, just the vast majority of camera-clickers don't have the need for it.