Smartphone-vs-DSLR

A friend of mine shoots with a iPad and comes up with some real nice sharp shots with nice colors.There is no doubt the phones have come a long way and have seen some really nice images especially from the iPhones or higher end Androids. I lady friend of mine was shooting some beautiful sunrises with a Android Smart phone and other then some comp issues and tilted horizons the IQ was really decent. Different strokes for different folks,Personally I think my fuji X-T10 IQ is every bit on par with the D7200 sometimes better but where talking same size 1,5 and actually the fuji sensor is slightly bigger dimensions then what's in the Nikon D7200 in a much smaller lighter package. So the bottom line is shoot what with works for you, not everyone wants a camera that's heavier and won't fit in the jacket pocket.

So what is the point in using a DSLR anymore? Kind of starting to feel like I wasted money if they are becoming useless.
Only if you want to view images just on your cellphone. If I remember right the iPhone produces an image that is like 1300x750 or something in that neighborhood, with a maximum optical zoom of like x2.

So if you are shooting something that is right in front of you and it's not moving to fast for the cameras af system and you want a large dof and you don't need a large print or need to view the output on something larger than a cellphone and you don't need to crop hardly at all... then yes, you can get some nice shots.

But notice all the caveats and limitations there? There's a reason why you don't see videos of coastalconn out shooting bif with a cellphone.

There's a reason why you don't see the sidelines at the NFL, or NASCAR, or other professional events teeming with professional photographers all taking pictures with their iPhone's.

Don't get me wrong, the advancements in cell phone cameras has been remarkable. For an easy to use, portable photographic solution they are fantastic.

But they are not as versatile as a dslr, not by a long shot. So no, they are not an adequate replacement for a dslr.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Thats why a few people I know have switched to a DSLR because the found these limitations and wanted to take there photography to a new level. So for general close up snaps and upload them to Facebook the cell is perfect for tilted horizons LOL,but for hard core photography not so much.Then again, when I buy a phone the camera is an after thought for me.I have just picked up an LG Escape 3 with 5 inch HD Screen 8mp back cam 5MP front its ok at best, but I don't care because its has the latest Android Marshmallow,not loaded with bloat and functions perfectly fast and smooth for it's intended purpose.

Last edited:
All anybody ever needs is a fork. There is now no longer any need for a knife. And spoons? Spoons are for toddlers.

Every tool has a reason for its existence. A flat-head screwdriver and a butter knife...same tool? Or not?

Those people who constantly try to deny that GREAT PICTURES can be made by high-end smart phones have become rather sad, tedious people. Constantly trying to "prove to themselves and others" that phone cameras are, "Not real cameras." Uhhhhh, no, they are, and they are BETTER cameras than the cameras most people had in the 1850-1999 time frame.

Yep the high end phones are amazing and expensive, but I guess the old saying you get what you pay for.I love the Samsung S7. I cheaped out though and passed on it, but maybe at a later date.

I like my Galaxy S7 but it's no way better than my D610 and I don't think it's better.

Can it take a good picture? Sure can but it has its limitations, dynamic range is awful and fine details just isn't there like they are on my D610.

But it's incredible when it's the only camera I have on me and it was the reason I sold my RX100 M3. I no longer needed a good high end lightweight camera when my phone is fully capable of stepping up to that task.

But at the end of the day, I still much prefer shooting with my DSLR.

All anybody ever needs is a fork. There is now no longer any need for a knife. And spoons? Spoons are for toddlers.

Every tool has a reason for its existence. A flat-head screwdriver and a butter knife...same tool? Or not?

Those people who constantly try to deny that GREAT PICTURES can be made by high-end smart phones have become rather sad, tedious people. Constantly trying to "prove to themselves and others" that phone cameras are, "Not real cameras." Uhhhhh, no, they are, and they are BETTER cameras than the cameras most people had in the 1850-1999 time frame.

Forks? I use my hands.

Just wait until they squeeze the full frame sensor in the phones,ot oh.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back