SMC Pentax f1.7 50mm

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just realized that this lens exists. I didn't even know there were any SMC Pentax lenses <f2.5. That's sweet. There's a thousand of them on ebay for $50 buy it now. I guess I'd recommend it to anybody with a k-mount body. Anyone actually used one?

1.jpg

I have the Pentax-M version on my K1000 user and a Pentax-A version on my LX. Both perform very well. Another lens that I use a lot is the 40mm f2.8 "pancake" lens which is usually mounted to the my small ME SE body. Great camera to tote around and take street photos. Small enough to fit in my pocket.

I'm a canon guy with a whole EOS system at my disposal but I still find my self heading out with my pentax system. Such a wonderful lenses and bodies in small compact packages. Nothing in the market today seems as compact as the pentax bodies of 70s and 80s. I'm around photogs a lot and trade equipment with local venues. Many hobbiests and amateurs on a very tight budget spend so much to get into a canon or nikon system. Almost as if thats the only two brands in the market right now. They end up walking away with so little for the money they spend. I generally recommend K-mount pentax and explain they can build an entire system for the same cost. Not to mention that all the K-mount lenses are compatible with the Pentax DSLR. I usually get a strange look as if they have never heard of Pentax before... go figure...

Do any of the newer AF lenses for the *ist work on a k-mount body?

I'm not sure but I don't think so. Newer AF lenses won't have an aperature ring.

Don't have any Pentax AF equipment so I cannot verify.

usayit said:
I'm not sure but I don't think so. Newer AF lenses won't have an aperature ring.

Don't have any Pentax AF equipment so I cannot verify.

Some of the new AF lenses still have aperture rings (just verify that before you buy).

The FA 50mm f1.4, FA 50mm f1.7, FA 28mm f2.8 all have aperture rings. It might be the DA series that don't have aperture rings.

1.4? badass!

Can anyone comment on which is better? The SMC 1.7 or SMC 1.4?

I've used the 50mm f/1.7 K-mount. It's great, and usually dirt cheap.

I've never tried the more modern Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lenses, but I love my 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar screw mount with the radioactive lens element that turns yellow. I only shoot BW with it so it's like a built in #12 filter. I use it on Spotmatics, and on my Pentax K-mount bodies with an adapter.

Apparently there's a k-mount f1.2! Hot Damn! These lenses keep getting faster and faster!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005ABCR/103-3135977-7258226?v=glance&n=502394[/ame]

Well how the hell am I supposed to choose btw these three?

whoa. the retail for the 1.2 is $700!

I think we need to rename this thread to "Pimp My Pentax"

I might as well add that Sigma makes a 1.4x APO teleconverter

Most reactions

Back