Smith Victor Lights. Need help with bulb...

moderndayflapper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just acquired two Smith Victor lighting heads and I have no idea what kind of bulb it takes. I even contacted the company itself and they had no answers for me. I guess the specific lights I have are pretty vintage. I don't know what kind of light stands to get either so if anyone knows, that would be awesome too.

The model is AP-18 and the cord has this text:

The cord reads: Type HSJO 75 C, 300 volts

If anyone could help, that would be great.

Here are some photos:

IMG_6130.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

Looks like it takes a standard medium-base lamp. My guess is 200 or 300 watts.

I contacted them already, they were no help at all. My friend who gave me these said they could take up to 1000 wattage. Of course I don't need that much, I just don't know what kind of bulb to get.

They look like ordinary medium-base. Just like you use at home.

Keep in mind, high wattage lamps get very very very very hot. Keep things like props, backgrounds, curtains and little kids away. Always have spare lamps on hand because you'll end up bumping a light and the lamp will go out. A single 1000w lamp will draw about 8½ amps, so plugging in two of them might well trip the breaker/blow the fuse. Set your digital camera to "incandescent" for color balance, or use an 80A filter for film.

As long as the cords are in good shape, and were installed properly, you should be OK.

Also, they're technically called Dark Suckers. That's because they suck up all the dark. When they cannot suck up any more darkness, they go out, and sometimes you can see all the darkness they've sucked up inside the lamp.
crazy.gif

Ok thanks for the tips. So even if it's a tungsten bulb, I should still use incandescent?

HA.

Can I use any other accessories with this?

Yes, tungsten is an incandescent bulb.

We cannot over stress this point, the reflectors for those lights are going to get hot, very hot. You will have to be sure and keep any accessories far enough away that they don't get hot enought to melt or catch fire.

You can mitigate the heat generated by turning the lights off whenever possible.

If you want to make the lights apparently larger, I recommend you use diffusion panels rather than softboxes or umbrellas.

I just tried a regular bulb, way too small for it. Someone told me something about a sodium bulb? Anyways, I'm going to the hardware store, maybe they will know.

Thanks, Keith. I will look into diffusion panels.

Then it's a mogul base. DO NOT try a sodium lamp... it WILL NOT work. Nor will a metal halide or mercury vapor. Those types of lamps have ballasts, starters and capacitors behind them to make them work. Besides, they'll take 5-10 minutes to come up to full brightness and the color rendition is atrocious.

If a standard base is too small, it may be a mogul base. In any event, try calling Calumet.

I would just call one of the larger camera shops like someone mentioned. Believe you may have just a couple of choices as far as wattage, I would do a search on smith victor lights at one of these locations and find something similar and click on accessories, more than likely the bulb will be listed. As far as stands, you want some kind of AIR cushioned stand so the equipment / light does not take a beating when lowered. You may have to get an adapter to go with the light etc.
-
If you have a do-it-yourself person around they may be able to adapt something for you.
Photography lighting products for photo, video and digital imaging | Smith-Victor Corporation | Logan Electric
-
Photography lighting products for photo, video and digital imaging | Smith-Victor Corporation | Logan Electric
-
Shoot well, Joe

Yeah it was a mogul but the hardware store I went to didn't have those so I just bought an adaptor for a regular light bulb and it looks great. Now I just need a stand!

Joe, I'm not sure what that first adaptor would be for?

Yeah it was a mogul but the hardware store I went to didn't have those so I just bought an adaptor for a regular light bulb and it looks great. Now I just need a stand!

Joe, I'm not sure what that first adaptor would be for?
-
Looks like the stem on the light is flat with holes , so this adapter bolts on to the light stem and you mount it onto the light stand.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Most reactions

Back