Smorgasbord of Shots - C&C Please!

FYDave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

This is kind of a smorgasbord of pictures. I'm really looking forward to them being critiqued. I've had this DSLR for about two weeks now and I've been researching as much as I can and taking as many opportunities to go shoot as possible. I'm particularly interested in critique and suggestions on the shots I have here of people.

I'm trying to work out how to better capture pictures of people, especially inside of a nightclub. I've shot in those a few times in the time I've had this so I'm definitely interested in learning how to improve on that in particular.

My setup right now is a Nikon D3100 with an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, and an SB-600.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!!!
A suggestion...
Try not to post soo many shots. It's better to keep the shot count to like 2 or 3. Less shots = better C&C.

I'm not one for long exposure-portrait-light trail shots so I can't really comment on those. The only experience I have with them is when I draw myself a moustache with Christmas lights.

the one big issue I has is with the skin of the people in #3. It looks almost like a vector image, because all detail and texture in the skin is gone. The shadows seem to be diminished as well.

Welcome to the forum!!!
A suggestion...
Try not to post soo many shots. It's better to keep the shot count to like 2 or 3. Less shots = better C&C.

Roger that. Thanks. :]

I'm not one for long exposure-portrait-light trail shots so I can't really comment on those. The only experience I have with them is when I draw myself a moustache with Christmas lights.

the one big issue I has is with the skin of the people in #3. It looks almost like a vector image, because all detail and texture in the skin is gone. The shadows seem to be diminished as well.

Yeah, I was kind of flip flopping back and forth over that one. I felt like I couldn't quite find the right edits for her skin. :/

#1 is a fantastic shot! I like the texture, the DOF and what a great perspective! I'm also a big fan of #9! I just wish I didn't see the tripod haha, still a great photo though.

my fav one was definitely pic 9.

That's what I said too. I like the idea in #1 but there needs to be some interesting subject on the other side.

#1 is a fantastic shot! I like the texture, the DOF and what a great perspective! I'm also a big fan of #9! I just wish I didn't see the tripod haha, still a great photo though.

my fav one was definitely pic 9.

That's what I said too. I like the idea in #1 but there needs to be some interesting subject on the other side.

Yeah, looking at it now the lights do seem to distract away from the bench itself and it sort of blurs off without anything of note at the other end. I'm chalking it up to it having been about 20 degrees outside in Boston that night and a desire to not have my car towed from a resident only parking spot. :lol:

The one thing I noticed about #6 only once I had it on my computer screen is that the background building at the end of the shot is a Church and the lightpost right before it happened to make a shadow in the shape of a cross on the Church.

Most reactions

Back