What's new

I haven't taken any photos since October...

Here in the US "The reasonable expectation of privacy" controls whether you can photograph or not. For example if you were sunbathing in the nude by your pool, with an enclosed privacy fence you would have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" from anyone on the street. If you were doing so in your front yard with no fence then you wouldn't. Even in an enclosed area, you would not have an expectation of privacy from any view from the air.

While malls are considered private property, they can also be public spaces, and as private property the owners can enforce reasonable rules that on there property, including the restriction of photography if they claim its a disruption to commerce. However it generally requires that notices be placed in a conspicuous location to be enforceable. As to sidewalk, roadways, if they are public domain they have no authority to enforce privacy rights.

I have no knowledge on the UK, I've read that their rules are similar, but I've also read there are some variances.
Thank you :)
 
Here in the US "The reasonable expectation of privacy" controls whether you can photograph or not. For example if you were sunbathing in the nude by your pool, with an enclosed privacy fence you would have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" from anyone on the street. If you were doing so in your front yard with no fence then you wouldn't. Even in an enclosed area, you would not have an expectation of privacy from any view from the air.

While malls are considered private property, they can also be public spaces, and as private property the owners can enforce reasonable rules that on there property, including the restriction of photography if they claim its a disruption to commerce. However it generally requires that notices be placed in a conspicuous location to be enforceable. As to sidewalk, roadways, if they are public domain they have no authority to enforce privacy rights.

I have no knowledge on the UK, I've read that their rules are similar, but I've also read there are some variances.

It is frustrating being flagged at a mall for terrorist activity for taking a picture of a beautiful stairwell. Security guards basically cornered me and said I can't take pictures and just delete the photos. There's no signs anywhere, none and I mentioned that and they're like well it's on the website 🙄

I was getting pretty upset because this was absolutely absurd and way out of hand for someone spending money at this mall. I was about ready to call the police to work it out. But I decided to them to pound sand and left the mall. I didn't delete the pictures, I kept them!
 
That's very interesting and I would love to be able to find out if that is the case here in UK too as my local mall has signs up stating no photographs but also they have banned anyone from photographing the building that they also own across the road from outside on the street, if you are caught taking a pic then security will step in.
I once heard that shooting the MI6 building (British secret intelligence service) is prohibited, but for a stupid mall... come one.

I'm not quite sure in my country how it is, but if a weird unknown vehicle is slowly passing by taking pictures of private houses, we can mostly suspect it could be burglars doing research for later. In that case we inform the local police.
I understand certain situations can be malicious.

But I mostly shoot 'tourist-wise' without bad intentions.
I never had someone say bad things to me.
 
I've had similar responses. "I could take that same image on my phone" go for it then.

I always have the same response to people that say "I could take that picture myself." to images that were taken locally. "Okay let's go. We can shoot together, whoever shoots the better image gets to keep the other persons gear."
I've never been taken up on it.

The "I can do that" crowd are never going to be a customer. They're the same person that goes to a garage and says "I have a buddy that can do it cheaper."
 
Here it is, almost February and the last time I went out to actually photograph was October of 2023 and since then I been in a funk. A lot of people said I should take a break and that's what I been doing for the most part. I've hardly touched my camera, in fact I haven't even charged the battery since October. I've taken maybe a couple snap shots here and there and then quickly lose interest and just put it back on my desk.

It's so frustrating to want to take pictures but you don't feel like it or just don't have the motivation to. I know winter can affect a lot of people and it certainly does for me. I don't like taking pictures in the cold and the days are so short and it's often dark and depressing so I have little interest to pick up the camera.

I've been trying other things to get my mojo back like editing photos, organizing them and things like that but nothing so far yet. I've sold a lens because I wanted to have less and I'm thinking about selling another one just to feel like I'm not burden by the expensive gear siting.

In my mind I keep thinking about buying another camera because somehow that will magically get me back into the mood to photograph or getting a different lens or something to just try but deep down I don't know if its worth investing more money into right now.

I still have film in my film camera from September because I just haven't felt like using it.

It's a terrible feeling because I don't want to give up and let this go. I really do enjoy it but at the same time I really bored with it too. Its beginning to feel repeativie like I'm just going to the same place, photographing the something over and over as if I'm into some sort of echo chamber or a loop.

I've deleted all my social media in hopes that it would somehow let me focus but all it did was push me further away and disconnected from a community I had that motivated me to push to create.

The best puzzles make you think twice before settling on an answer, which is why Best Riddles with Answers can be so entertaining. A clever riddle rewards careful thinking and often has a surprisingly simple solution.
I’ve been through something similar, and I think taking a break can sometimes make the return harder because you start putting pressure on yourself to “get your mojo back.” I wouldn’t buy another camera or lens just yet. Maybe the problem isn’t photography itself but doing the same kind of photography repeatedly. Try something completely different, even with the old D750: a new subject, a different location, or a simple project with a specific theme. And don’t worry about producing anything worth keeping. The important thing is not to force yourself. Your interest may come back naturally once photography stops feeling like an obligation.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom