Smorgasbord of Shots

FYDave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

This is kind of a smorgasbord of pictures. I'm really looking forward to them being critiqued. I've had this DSLR for about two weeks now and I've been researching as much as I can and taking as many opportunities to go shoot as possible. I'm particularly interested in critique and suggestions on the shots I have here of people.

I'm trying to work out how to better capture pictures of people, especially inside of a nightclub. I've shot in those a few times in the time I've had this so I'm definitely interested in learning how to improve on that in particular.

My setup right now is a Nikon D3100 with an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, and an SB-600.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't be shy! I'm really interested in all the criticism and critique I can get! :]

Hi Dave, I am new to the forum (although not new to photography), and since you want C&C......

I am not keen on the bands of colour in shots 4, 5 and 7, I don't think they add anything.

I like shot #5, although either you or the dentist has gone a bit overboard on the teeth whitening. The subjects are excellent, I would try a bit more of a grunge effect in post.

I like #9 a lot, not really sure why, it just appeals to me.

Good work for two weeks in to a new camera!

Hello friend :D
At the outset let me request not to post so much of images at a stretch, if you really wanted comments and evaluations... i feel tired :grumpy:
#1 ; the idea is good; but where our eyes are led, there it is is the dazzle of OOF lamps which has spoilt the show

#2: how cute this image; if you had posted this alone, i am sure you would have received by now so much pampering ;)

#3: What a sensuous expression of love; classic

#4; When i saw the yellow streaks in this image, i thought this is good... but when i scrolled down, i had to support my head on my arms....i changed my opinion

#5: no comments :grumpy:

#6: too busy to hide aesthetics, if any

#7: no comments :grumpy:

#8: I liked this

#9: Right person in the wrong corridor

#10: Were you in a similar situation, while shooting this? ;)

Regards :D

Hi Dave, I am new to the forum (although not new to photography), and since you want C&C......

I am not keen on the bands of colour in shots 4, 5 and 7, I don't think they add anything.

I like shot #5, although either you or the dentist has gone a bit overboard on the teeth whitening. The subjects are excellent, I would try a bit more of a grunge effect in post.

I like #9 a lot, not really sure why, it just appeals to me.

Good work for two weeks in to a new camera!

Thanks for the critique. The bands of color in the shots you listed were something of an experiment. In Boston nightlife photography one trend that I've noticed to be really popular is that light streak/band/smear/whateverothernameyoucanthinkofforit. So, I figured I'd give it a go as a few of my friends had and see how it turned out.

Yeah, that would be me having gone overboard on the teeth in that shot. I'll try to scale things like that back in the future.

Hello friend :D
At the outset let me request not to post so much of images at a stretch, if you really wanted comments and evaluations... i feel tired :grumpy:
#1 ; the idea is good; but where our eyes are led, there it is is the dazzle of OOF lamps which has spoilt the show

#2: how cute this image; if you had posted this alone, i am sure you would have received by now so much pampering ;)

#3: What a sensuous expression of love; classic

#4; When i saw the yellow streaks in this image, i thought this is good... but when i scrolled down, i had to support my head on my arms....i changed my opinion

#5: no comments :grumpy:

#6: too busy to hide aesthetics, if any

#7: no comments :grumpy:

#8: I liked this

#9: Right person in the wrong corridor

#10: Were you in a similar situation, while shooting this? ;)

Regards :D

1. So do you mean that next time I should try and keep something like the nights out of the shot because they distract you from the park bench itself?

4. Why did you change your mind once you scrolled down? Is the image too long?

5./7. What do you mean when you put a little frowny face after no comments? Lol, that makes me think that you just flat out dislike the picture.

9./10. I suppose I'll have to look for some better locations in Boston with that particular subject. :]

Thanks for the C&C so far and I'm also glad that you guys liked some of them!

Frowned because of those light streaks; no comments because of the light streaks; changed my mind because of the repetition of light streaks

The Boston street you chose looks congested ;)

Frowned because of those light streaks; no comments because of the light streaks; changed my mind because of the repetition of light streaks

The Boston street you chose looks congested ;)

Yeah, that particular street is one of the busiest ones. We were walking down when she decided she wanted to take some photographs on a set of steps which is what ended up in that shot with her camera pointed at me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back