Snaps from my sister's wedding

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not a professional photographer, but I thought I'd get better C&C in this section than in the general gallery ;)

They just asked me to bring the camera and take some shots, so that's what I did. The roof was a mirror, so bounding my flash gave me some harsh lighting. The room was very dark, and shutter speeds of 1/10th of a second happened regularly. I decided that "I'm not a paid photographer. The important thing is that I try to capture the mood, and don't throw away some shots because of some motion blur or missed focus. My nifty fifty struggled in the bad lighting :)

I didn't go to extreme lengths to get the shot. I moved around some, but didn't run across the room to get the perfect angle or stuff. I was just a guest with a camera, remember ;)

I think I've got some decent shots. My mom's disappointed with the 30-ish ones I sent her, and wanted more. But I don't seen the point of sending 100 pictures that are underexposed by two stops and very blurry.

#1 - grandpa! I really liked this one. One of my really sharp images

Middagen_6 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

#2 - my brother.

Middagen_5 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

#3 - my uncle

Middagen_3 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

#4 - bridal dance

Middagen_14 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Middagen_15 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Middagen_16 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

#7 - my brother and his wife

Middagen_23 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

#8 - mom and dad

Middagen_22 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Please keep in mind that I was limited in gear, lighting and "motivations" ;) I wish I had a 35/2 (can't afford yours, tyler ;) ), that focal length would be much more comfortable.

Anyway, for those who didn't understand it, criticism is appreciated, even if I posted as much as eight pictures. BTW, my respect for professional wedding photographers has increased massively after this.

Regards,
Anders

All things considered, I think you did very well! These are good!

#2 FTW. Pimpin' lil bro.

Jaemie said:
All things considered, I think you did very well! These are good!

#2 FTW. Pimpin' lil bro.

Thanks. That's his "barney stinson pose" :lol:

tirediron said:
Nicely done Anders.

thanks a lot! Good to see you guys like these better than my mom, haha. She was after large quanteties of (poor) snaps of everything. I hope I did better than that, though.

Not bad for getting some shots of the event. Very clearly all at the 50mm focal length, but hey, what can you do? I have to ask though, B&W for the sake of B&W? Or was it due to the varying color temperature of lights? I can give you some more C&C on a computer or iPad. Too tough to refer back to images on my phone. Overall, not bad for the situation at hand. Your mom doesn't have any reason to be disappointed. If you were the only photographer there and you weren't charging, she should be ecstatic with the fact that there are any images.

#1 was awesome, and a great catch with him holding the coffee cup! I think #6 is the next best. they all looked pretty sharp to me. very nicely done. im not really a fan of B&W for most pics, but these turned out well.

o hey tyler said:
Not bad for getting some shots of the event. Very clearly all at the 50mm focal length, but hey, what can you do? I have to ask though, B&W for the sake of B&W? Or was it due to the varying color temperature of lights? I can give you some more C&C on a computer or iPad. Too tough to refer back to images on my phone. Overall, not bad for the situation at hand. Your mom doesn't have any reason to be disappointed. If you were the only photographer there and you weren't charging, she should be ecstatic with the fact that there are any images.

Nahh, the colour temps were messy, and I didn't care for them. I think bw conveys mood better than colour in most situations anyway. Plus, the noise goes betyer with bw, imho.

Thank you for your opinions!! I really appreciate it.

Shoot wider man. What lens?

Schwettylens said:
Shoot wider man. What lens?

I only have the 50/1.8 and an 11-16.

Do the kid in photo #2 a favor and clone out that huge pimple on his nose. He will thank you later.

DiskoJoe said:
Do the kid in photo #2 a favor and clone out that huge pimple on his nose. He will thank you later.

Lol, maybe I should :p

Love #1. That bit of light on his shoulder is a little distracting... maybe bring that down in post, but other than that... awesome shot.

One 4,5,6... flash seems a bit harsh... was it built-in flash? If so, you handled it surprisingly well. Ideally you want to bounce a flash off the ceiling or something. Some other tips with this, too.... notice how the background is REALLY dark... personally, I don't like this look because it winds up looking like someone popped a snapshot and doesn't differentiate you from someone just hanging out with their P&S. I like to drag the shutter... basically, set the shutter for 1/20th of a second, usually F3-4 and bounce the flash off the ceiling. The flash (mostly) freezes the motion of your subject (sometimes there is a tiny blur on their edges, but barely noticable), and then the ambient light can fill in the folks in the background. In larger environments or if you have taller ceilings you may also need/want to up your ISO a bit. I rarely have to go above 800... 400 usually does the trick.

Also watch your angles... background elements in some of those are titled.

Thanks manaheim, great help there! I did bounce the flash, but the roof was one big mirror made of "planks", if you get my meaning. Like a floor, only it's glass. That's what caused the bright streaks of light in some shots.

It didn't occur to me to drag the shutter, I'm not used to relying on a flash. I think I used highest sync speed, as I was afraid of blurry people.

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback!

Most reactions

Back