Snapshot with the new D90....

mrpink

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just playing around with the babe. I know that guy sitting in the background is distracting- I started to edit him out, but it was looking far too edited. C&C if you like, remember... it's a snapshot.

4443908519_4431d4c1e1_b.jpg

I was hoping the 3D focus would have worked better in this situation (keeping her in focus while she swung) but I was getting better results from full auto- any ideas on when 3D works better? The 4fps did make this shot a lot easier as compared to my D40.

So far... lovin the new D90.

p!nK

I use 3D when tracking birds and such. Babys in swings probably to fast for the lens rather then the camera.

What a cutie! And you did one particular thing "right" in this picture that I love. A lot of people shooting children in swings get far too much of the ground in the shot. You lowered the horizon so we could see more of the beautiful blue sky behind her, lovely! :)

Cool shot.

Why bother to photoshop out the guy in the back ground? Take your daughter back to the park, let her have fun and recompose to eliminate any distracting items. Your being a parent forces you to look only at your daughter. The photographer in you should be looking at the entire view finder allowing you to "see" the distractions and re-compose to eliminate them.

Also, try crouching down closer to the ground, and point the camera up higher to see if you can get her against the sky. When you look through the viewfinder, explore with the camera.

Keep shooting, hey it's digital - and you've got a "Delete" feature! Good luck.

Last edited:
Cool shot.

Why bother to photoshop out the guy in the back ground? Take your daughter back to the park, let her have fun and recompose to eliminate any distracting items. Your being a parent forces you to look only at your daughter. The photographer in you should be looking at the entire view finder allowing you to "see" the distractions and re-compose to eliminate them.

Also, try crouching down closer to the ground, and point the camera up higher to see if you can get her against the sky. When you look through the viewfinder, explore with the camera.

Keep shooting, hey it's digital - and you've got a "Delete" feature! Good luck.

Good advice here. Yes the parent vs. photographer is a tough one. Very hard to wear both hats at the same time. Looking back, three steps to the right and the background would have been clear. We were there to have fun, and as this shot shows, we did.

For this shot, I was in the kneeling position, fairly low to the ground. I am always very aware of perspective angles when photographing my child, I think of it as a way to turn a decent photo into an amazing one.

thanks

p!nK

How did you do that? I've tried taking pictures of children swinging and my lens can't focus fast enough for the movement. I've tried all my lenses. Of course I've never tried when they're swinging away. Maybe that helps?

I never use 3D tracking.
But I don't photograph moving objects very often, so that probably has something to do with it.

How did you do that? I've tried taking pictures of children swinging and my lens can't focus fast enough for the movement. I've tried all my lenses. Of course I've never tried when they're swinging away. Maybe that helps?

Best way I found....

This was shot with a D90 with a 55-200mm VR, focus set on auto, frame rate is at 4fps. Grab a focus when they are furthest away and at the highest point in the swing. Hold that focal point. Wait from them to swing back and start firing. It is sorta spray and pray, but it works.

I uploaded the other pics from this burst so you can see....

Swing shot. - a set on Flickr

p!nK

^^^^^^
Thanks Pink! I'll try that next time I'm out there. Didn't think of focusing first and then swinging lol

^^^^^^
Thanks Pink! I'll try that next time I'm out there. Didn't think of focusing first and then swinging lol

No problem! I have found that you need to get creative when dealing with youngin's.

high fps counts work wonders.

p!nK

The D90 is pretty nice. I am still loving mine!

Most reactions

Back