Snooting with speedlight

Sabrina, just noticed your second question. Where to put the lights? How are we supposed to know that lol, we don't know where the shoot is, how much space you have, etc. For my 'pinup' style shoot, I had my beauty dish about 4-5 foot away from the model camera left and above.

You could also use it to make a round halo like light on the backdrop.

Use straws and black card and you will have a honeycomb snoot, but you won't listen to me
I saw that one too and if I remembered correctly, different length of the straws yield different results.

Use straws and black card and you will have a honeycomb snoot, but you won't listen to me
I saw that one too and if I remembered correctly, different length of the straws yield different results.

The shorter they are the more spread but you can almost shoot at the light with no flare

I made up this grid with a Novatron Snoot Grid that I found at a camera show N4001A1 Novatron Honeycomb Grid for the Snoot. , put some rubber padding on the inside of the metal so it would not scratch the flash and it holds fine for the most part. The lower two images show you the difference in spread with same power output. Just food for thought in case you see one in the clearance box etc. at your local camera stores etc.
-
SB800Grid1FTW.jpg

-
Shoot well, Joe
-
This folks make a decent grid that you can fine tune to your liking: http://www.expoimaging.com/product-overview.php?cat_id=13&keywords=_Rogue_FlashBenders

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back