Snow and light: C&C please

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all -- the story is simple: I snowshoed around a bend in our University trails, and there was this combination of snow and light streaming over a bank.

General C&C is welcome -- I'm considering using this as a portfolio piece, so feel free to be hard on it. A specific question: Are the lit branches in the background distracting? I'm imagining trouble with trying to clone them out, so what could I do?

main.php

OP
dcclark

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Photos OK to edit
I'm bumping this in hopes of critiques. Is the photo "meh" enough that nobody wants to say anything after a day?

Dragonfly..shotz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hi, was not sure at first. Found it hard to make out what was going on. Have you tried flipping it horizontally? I think you will find it will flow better from left to right. Just a thought.

AverageJoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Are the lit branches in the background distracting?
Yes, and it would be a tough crop to get rid of the black bar towards the top, it really throws the image off, can you re-shoot?

OP
dcclark

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Photos OK to edit
Yes, and it would be a tough crop to get rid of the black bar towards the top, it really throws the image off, can you re-shoot?

Hm, unfortunately a reshoot is unlikely -- unless we get a windy, sunny day when I can get outside at the right time. I can definitely tone down the most distracting branch in the background and flip it horizontally -- we'll see how that looks.

OP
dcclark

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Photos OK to edit
Here is a slightly changed version: flipped, and the most distracting shiny branches have been toned down. The big black trees are just about impossible though...

main.php

Dragonfly..shotz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I feel that works better and cloning out the branch makes the trunks of the trees become a part of the image with a glimpse of blue sky. I like it.

OP
dcclark

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Photos OK to edit
Thanks both. I wouldn't have thought to flip the image -- do you suppose it "reads" better because we are used to reading left-to-right?

Eldrich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Very interesting, I somehow like it better flipped, I have no idea why.

But to be blatantly honest, I don't really get much out of this. I like the idea, but I wish that there were more in the frame, there's nothing really to keep your eye on the photo.

OP
dcclark

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Photos OK to edit
Eldrich -- thanks for the honesty. (I think that the flipping helps because of the sense of action, and how we usually read left to right -- just my idea.)

Would it be fair to rephrase your criticism as "there is no strong subject in this photo"?

Eldrich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
yes thats pretty much what I was thinking. For me, the blowing snow is just a little too much of a blur to be the only thing in the photo. Which is why I think I would like it much more if the subject were the snow blowing off of a recognizable roof, rather than mostly being the snow...but thats just me

Most reactions

New Topics