Snowy Owl relocation

MSnowy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a detour on my way to the grocery store this evening and came upon Norman Smith relocating a Snowy Owl. Snowy Owl Project
MSP_5568-4-XL.jpg

MSP_5524-2-XL.jpg

MSP_5543-5-XL.jpg

MSP_5568-4-XL.jpg

MSP_5577-XL.jpg

Last edited:
That is real special. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If he had the least decency he would have released it somewhere near me! ;)

...excellent series of photos btw KUDOS! That 3rd one should be nominated for the Feb Photo of the Month

Wow. What a great set of shots!

If he had the least decency he would have released it somewhere near me! ;)

...excellent series of photos btw KUDOS! That 3rd one should be nominated for the Feb Photo of the Month

Thanks.If I see him again I'll tell him to point the Snowy in your direction.

Nice set! These pics are so good and the send me a good feeling.Good Job!

Great set of documentary photos. I remember reading about this a few years ago and I was impressed at the time because, as far as I know, Logan is one of the few airports that does this - band and relocate Snowies. There are other airports that have this problem and the birds have died from encounters with planes. Places like Toronto and Windsor, Ontario, Montreal, Quebec, LaGuardia, JFK all have similar problems. A lot of them are beginning to follow Logan's example and relocate them and that is working as there are very few returns. Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario.

One theory is that the areas around the airports resemble the tundra that they live on in the summer as it is flat and has no trees. These types of areas are good for hunting, but not good for conflicts with airplanes.

WesternGuy

Great set of documentary photos. I remember reading about this a few years ago and I was impressed at the time because, as far as I know, Logan is one of the few airports that does this - band and relocate Snowies. There are other airports that have this problem and the birds have died from encounters with planes. Places like Toronto and Windsor, Ontario, Montreal, Quebec, LaGuardia, JFK all have similar problems. A lot of them are beginning to follow Logan's example and relocate them and that is working as there are very few returns. Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario.

One theory is that the areas around the airports resemble the tundra that they live on in the summer as it is flat and has no trees. These types of areas are good for hunting, but not good for conflicts with airplanes.

WesternGuy

Thanks. I've been following Norman's work at Logan for 4 years now. The last few years he has saved 100's of Snowys from there.

Most reactions

Back