So before during the film days

Wow really makes you think.next up robot photographers.

Wow really makes you think.next up robot photographers.
There will be some that will call you out on this comment...I am not one of them. I'm not an artist. Heck, I don't have a creative bone in my body except when it comes to how to make something work and abstract ways of making something more efficient. I am an engineer with a heck of a memory. I can memorize a camera manual, memorize rules, memorize how to achieve certain effects in different conditions, and I do pretty well at it, but I am also honest...there is no reason an advanced computer can't replicate my thought process when I take a photo and do it better(no worries on stabilisation, split second calculations on how fast the subject is moving and the lowest allowable subject speed, better tracking, better panning, instant calculations on the subject distance, bounce distance, angle, and color temp reflected). Heck, cameras are already better than most photographers...instead of admitting it, we just say that it is 'tools' that we are using(auto focus, auto exposure, TTL metering for flash, matrix metering, etc, etc).

Technology changes all things and has changed a lot more difficult professions than photography...surgeries are being performed by computers, contracts are written by computer programs, buildings are designed with software...heck, in just about every aspect of our daily lives, the people/professionals continue to become less and less important.

It's more important that the people understand how to operate the new technology than to actually be able to understand what the technology is doing. Whether or not you or I like it is besides the point...it's happening, and will continue to do so at an accelerated rate.

Picture parts manufacturing...used to be, we had artists and craftsmen who could create parts and fit them together...since the invention of the CNC machine, that is a thing of the past. We don't need the craftsmen anymore. We just need a computer tech who understands how the machine works. It doesn't matter that he could never produce what the craftsmen of yesteryears could have done on his own...what matters is, the crafstmen of yesteryears cannot replicate what the computer tech in front of the machine can do.

We live in changing times, and anybody who thinks their profession is exempt from those changes is fooling themselves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back