So how do you do it?

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. But I have a question about shooting pictures.

I'm thinking about going out tonight around our down town area (it's beautifully lit up at night) and try to take some night pictures...with tripod in tow.

Do you guys normally just pull over and set up and start shooting pictures? Or is it one of those waiting at the red light and snap a picture type thing?

I'm just worried about what others say or think when you pull over and set up shop somewhere. Do you ever get ask questions? Do you ever get in trouble with the cops? Are you ever ask to leave?

I'm just kinda nervous about it.

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. But I have a question about shooting pictures.

I'm thinking about going out tonight around our down town area (it's beautifully lit up at night) and try to take some night pictures...with tripod in tow.

Do you guys normally just pull over and set up and start shooting pictures? Or is it one of those waiting at the red light and snap a picture type thing?

I'm just worried about what others say or think when you pull over and set up shop somewhere. Do you ever get ask questions? Do you ever get in trouble with the cops? Are you ever ask to leave?

I'm just kinda nervous about it.

Park somewhere. And get out . Is the area not safe enough that you can leave your car and go hunting? Packing things up, getting in car, pulling over car, taking things out, and repeating that over and over again would get tedious. Just park it, and shoot it.

If you need someone to walk with you, lemme know -
winky.gif

I don't think the cops would care if you're taking pics. They might be curious at first and ask what you're doing, but if you tell them the truth they probably wont do anything. They have bigger fish to fry.

There's no reason to be nervous, it's fun to go out on a shoot. Just take your time, look at the angles and don't be afraid to try new things. Often the first angle you see isn't the best, so experiment a little.

Also, be sure you pack everything you need, all the appropriate lenses, tripod, extra batteries, cable release, warm clothes, flashlight, etc. Be sure to stay on well-lit streets. Hope that helps a bit...

Exactly as stated above. As long as it is a safe city, get out and walk your feet off. I've gone several times in several cities and yes, if you are doing night photography, you generally get questioned by people that are just curious.

People think you are anything from being with the news to National Geographic :lmao: I will pull up pics on the viewfinder and show people what I am shooting. It is actually quite fun to talk to people about it.

As far as the cops, as long as you are on public property, they can't say nothin'. The most they can do is tell you to stay off private sidewalks, which your typically won't be on anyway if you are shooting up at a building.

Hope that helps! Have fun. I love night photography!

I felt like an idiot the first time I pulled out the tripod, but now I don't give a damn what others think! I've shot in San Fran, Dallas, Ft Worth, San Antonio and Abu Dhabi at night without a problem. All of them except Dallas and some water gardens were alone.

Last edited:
I've noticed that people seem to be fascinated by a photographer with a tripod set up, so you'll probably have some company :) They'll ask you if you're from a magazine, news, and/or a pro as stated above...it's really quite funny. Be sure to post any interesting stories!

Thanks for the tips and advise.

Parts of down town (along the riverfront) have had a lot of bums when I'd go down at night years ago. I don't know how it is now.

I won't be going alone...my husband will be in tow with me or I won't go. The problem is, I can't just get out and walk. I have a baby that will be in tow with us as well. So it will be a matter of pulling over right at the spot I want to try to shoot.

I'm a newbie and just got my first camera 2 weeks ago. All I have is the camera, the lens it came with, the battery it came with and a tripod. No extras yet. I've been looking at lens...but I'm really unsure what all they do and what kind you need for what pictures you are trying to accomplish at this point. I don't even have a camera bag yet...that's number 1 on my list of things to get.

I'm a very outgoing, talkative, outspoken girl....once I get to know you. If I don't know you, I'm very timid, shy and nervous. So this entire thing is making me very nervous about what people might say or even think. When I was practicing the night streaming when I first got my camera, I'm out in my yard with the camera set up...if a car went by, I'd put my head down like I was doing something so they wouldn't think I was shooting them as they went by. I don't know...maybe I'm just weird and it'll take awhile for me to get use to just going out in public and shooting what ever without worrying about what people may think. :lol:

ANDS!- located in Ohio? I'd love for another photographer to walk with me. If someone else is with me doing the same thing...I would definately feel more comfortable. :hug:: ;)

People think you are anything from being with the news to National Geographic :lmao: I will pull up pics on the viewfinder and show people what I am shooting. It is actually quite fun to talk to people about it.

I've noticed that people seem to be fascinated by a photographer with a tripod set up, so you'll probably have some company :) They'll ask you if you're from a magazine, news, and/or a pro as stated above...it's really quite funny. Be sure to post any interesting stories!

That's the problem...I'm far from experienced and don't even really know how to do the settings or what my camera does. I'll look like an idiot out there. :lmao: I wouldn't dare pull up my pictures on the viewfinder to show them. I don't want to be imbarrased any more than I have to. :thumbup:

ANDS!- located in Ohio? I'd love for another photographer to walk with me.
No. That was a pervy joke. Hence the
winky.gif

If you're not comfortable showing people your photos, then don't, that's completely up to you. Just have fun with the shoot and experiment, then send the photos in to the forum so we can critique them, it's a great way to learn.

When you talked about the bums, it was kind of concerning, but it's nice your husband is going with you so you don't have to worry about your safety. A photographer with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of gear on them would be a muggers paradise.

As far as pulling up and parking to shoot, there's nothing wrong with that, it shouldn't inhibit your photos and you could probably get out and walk a little like crossing the street or running around the side of a building for a better angle.

I would recommend driving around before the shoot and scouting some locations so you can have a game plan to help speed things up a little in case the baby gets fussy being out for so long.

Goodluck and be sure to post the photos!

You can also look for a local photography group. I found mine on meetup.com. I am part of one in Dallas and it is a ball to go out with them. I can also go to locations that I would never go by myself. With 30-40 people with tripods, ain't nobody gonna mess with you! We went to one particular area that was pretty sketchy to shoot the Dallas skyline and the bums were very helpful of telling us where the Dallas newspaper photographers would shoot from. LOL

You will get more comfortable as you get more experience. I used to hide out too. Now my neighbors are used to me out taking pictures while I am testing or around the holidays.

Once I saw the results of what I could take, I never cared again about looking like an idiot. People really will want to talk to you though. It has happened every time I have had my tripod and plenty of times without, so make up your story now of what magazine you work for. ;)

It is a good idea to probably take your husband if the area you are in is not hugely populated with people down there. I took my husband with me to this location and even at 9:30 he said we had to get the hell out of there!

http://www.lyncca.smugmug.com/gallery/4915586_gNFWU#293560247_JbJRb

I was doing a shoot for the architecture competition last month, and pulled up to a hospital ....

grabbed the tripod and started setting up shot. I didn't quite realize i was taking pictures of the entrance into the woman's clinic.

Where I'm at, people don't see a lot of photographers out at night. I love night photography, and have often been embarrassed myself. One of the reasons I haven't gone out at night a whole lot, other than to rural areas or in my apartment complex.

My town has a pretty vibrant night life on the weekends for its size - and I want to get down to the dickson street this weekend (if its warm enough) and take shots of drunk people coming out of bars.

Would be totally fun!

the bums were very helpful of telling us where the Dallas newspaper photographers would shoot from.

LOL that IS hilarious!

You seriously got 30-40 people to come shooting with you? That would be cool to share ideas and get pointers, I should try that. And you're right, no body would mess with you then. Can you imagine 40 angry photographers swinging their tripods as a weapon???? Now THATS a whoopin....

I saw this happen on a snowy night a guy walking around tripod in his arm with what seemed to be a canon attached walking alone at night taking shots of architecture. even though it was a empty night no one seemed to bother, just get out take shots and if theres any kind of problem its as simple as leaving.

LOL that IS hilarious!

You seriously got 30-40 people to come shooting with you? That would be cool to share ideas and get pointers, I should try that. And you're right, no body would mess with you then. Can you imagine 40 angry photographers swinging their tripods as a weapon???? Now THATS a whoopin....

Absolutely! We have a FANTASTIC group here that is run by the coolest gal. She gets us into everything! I would say that Dallas skyline turnout was over 40 people as well as the Dallas night architecture shoot and the Gaylord ICE exhibit. Most others run between 10-20 people, but everyone loves night stuff :)

When we did the Dallas architectural shoot there were a lot of clubs with drunk girls. We had one that was PLASTERED and kept asking if we were "hiccup... papppaaratzi?" She really got into a snit as well as several others that we didn't care to take their picture. We could have got some funny ones, but it was funnier watching them get annoyed that we didn't think they were worthy of our attention, plus I didn't want to mess with my settings. Fun stuff ;)

Most reactions

Back