So I feel like I'm In Over My Head

The analogy of "Rome wasn't built in a day" is the correct one.

See, if shooting on manual mode, understanding your settings, manipulating light in camera, post processing and all that was easy, everyone would be doing it and being a photographer would not be a very viable business.

It can take years to master 1 style of photography, this one top of learning the basics. Sports, portraits, landscapes, events, journalism, fashion, strobes, studio,... all are different and require a different set of skills and understanding. But you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Take baby steps. Learn on Program mode and practice different things. Move to AV and play with the aperture. Read up on aperture and what it does and before going on to shutter, practice for a few weeks with just that. Then add the shutter to the mix...then manual...then work on composition and so on. You build a skill set, you dont just get it.

But above all, always make sure you are having fun. If you are finding that learning is getting frustrating, take time away from your camera or simply take time away from learning and go out and shoot and have fun!

I picked up a camera a few years ago. Did the learning on my own part, then decided that for ME, taking a class would be best. So I did. The class tought me the basics of aperture, shutter, ISO, composition, but it was up to me to apply and practice them. Once I had a good handling on each, I focused on composition. The best tip I can give is when you find something interesting take a minimum of 10 shots of it. Each shot must be at a different angle, focal lenght, aperture...whatever. Push your creative mind.

Dont get bogged down (right now) with the gear. Today's cameras are awesome tools, even the kit stuff, to learn with. Yes, they have limitations and pro gear will make a difference, but play with what you have.

One day at a time, one photo at a time.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've been experimenting w/ all different modes right now. Just taking pop shots for the most part just to truly see what the differences are. I actually really like the shutter priority mode so far 'cause it's a mode I can easily understand 1/50 is slower than 1/150 and allows for light to reflect through the lens longer, resulting in a brighter picture.

Program mode doesn't seem to offer much except for changing ISO, exposure compensation (which I don't understand, it's got a bar w/ -2 -1 | 1 2) and the white balance.

Also, where can I upload images online besides imageshack?

Last edited:
Rick, You've gotten great advice. Take it slow and ready and practice. If you have the desire to improve, observe and listen and keep trying it will eventually click and you will start progressing faster than you think.

I can totally relate. I want to know it all and go out and make good pictures, but it doesn't work that way. Time and experience are your friend!

Welcome to TPF! :)

I've been experimenting w/ all different modes right now. Just taking pop shots for the most part just to truly see what the differences are. I actually really like the shutter priority mode so far 'cause it's a mode I can easily understand 1/50 is slower than 1/150 and allows for light to reflect through the lens longer, resulting in a brighter picture.

Program mode doesn't seem to offer much except for changing ISO, exposure compensation (which I don't understand, it's got a bar w/ -2 -1 | 1 2) and the white balance.

I use photobucket. Quick and easy. Keep up the practice. And it will come. I am still waiting for it to come to me.....but it will eventually.

I use Flickr.

Just go out and play with the camera, you may look weird walking around taking pictures but who cares.

I just created a flickr account but I can't figure out how to get an address for the pictures I've uploaded so I can post them here on the forum.

I've got a 512mb SD card and when it's empty, I think my camera says I can take a little over 100 photos. In the last 3 days I've taken 169 photos. :D

One day I played w/ shutter speed in TV mode for the most part. Yesterday I played w/ a mixture, using some in Program mode, and the others such as macro, portrait, and landscape, and today I played around with AV mode and the setting the aperture.

Even if I've not found any amazing shots, it's still a lot of fun learning the camera and taking photos. Plus it gets me out and about. I found a trail in a nearby town that follows a river I've never been on. So that's where I was taking photos today.

I'm definitely going to start saving for a zoom lens or telephoto lens, are either of the terms correct? The local store where I bought my camera has one that's 55-250mm for $300 I think. There was this beutiful Red Cardinal on the trail and I just couldn't get close enough for a decent photo. The 18-55mm kit lens doesn't zoom in enough.

The analogy of "Rome wasn't built in a day" is the correct one.

:thumbup: I've been shooting for 25 years now, and it becomes fun to "get in over your head".... it's where I learn the best.

See, if shooting on manual mode, understanding your settings, manipulating light in camera, post processing and all that was easy, everyone would be doing it and being a photographer would not be a very viable business.

:lol: It's funny that I come across this sentence after just posting on this thread....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...gallery/207344-taking-wedding-photo-tips.html It seems that everyone is doing it.

It seems that everyone is doing it.

I've already had to answer quite a few questions from family members who think it was ridiculous for me to pay so much for a camera. None of them believe that it's possible to do more w/ this camera than it is w/ a $150-$200 point and shoot. So I think a lot of people out there believe that there's nothing more to photography than pushing that shutter button, and so they think it's an easy way to make money. Sadly, they're mistaken.

For me, this is a hobby, something I can find enjoyment and relaxation out of. :) Anyways, figured out flickr, so I'm going to post a couple of photos I took. :D

4715676875_b03303fe84_b.jpg

4712967677_fc15d536f9_b.jpg

4712966593_71da7885fb_b.jpg

Hey, I like #1 and #3. 2's too bright..

Not bad, keep at it.

Thanks. I've actually have 2 other shots of that 2nd photo, both of which are even lighter than that one. Right now I'm trying to take 2-3 shots of everything, each one at a different aperture setting, or shutter speed. Just to visually see the difference.

other then the contrast being alittle high, i like the black and whites. the green is well...green :greenpbl:

Thanks. I've actually have 2 other shots of that 2nd photo, both of which are even lighter than that one. Right now I'm trying to take 2-3 shots of everything, each one at a different aperture setting, or shutter speed. Just to visually see the difference.

I did the same thing for a while, and it served two purposes for me. For one, I got more 'keepers' but more importantly I was able to review the differences each made, which might seem like a minor thing, but the more you get familiar with the camera settings and the results they produce, the better.

other then the contrast being alittle high, i like the black and whites. the green is well...green :greenpbl:

The only one in black and white is the first one of the pathway. What do you mean by the contrast? And yeah, that cemetery was very green. Like super green. Trees everywhere, we've had quite a bit of rain lately and the sun was out so the green was vivid.

I did the same thing for a while, and it served two purposes for me. For one, I got more 'keepers' but more importantly I was able to review the differences each made, which might seem like a minor thing, but the more you get familiar with the camera settings and the results they produce, the better.

Definitely. I'm taking the #1 piece of advice everyone here has given me and that is PRACTICE. 'Cause we all know, practice makes perfect. Or at least darn near perfect as we can get.

I'm going to look for a program I can download, preferably a free one, if not, a low price program that will tell me all the data info for the photos on my hard drive. Once I deleted them from my SD card, they're no longer on my camera and I don't have the shutter speed, aperture, or ISO for each photo. I did find a website where I can upload the picture and it'll tell me the info, but it's time consuming.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back