So i just got my XTI

crowl31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the stock lens, 18 - 55.

What should I look for in terms of an upgraded lens? I want to get a 300mm and I've seen a lot comments on a 50mm.

I'm very new to photography so advice is always well recieved. :D

What should I look for in terms of an upgraded lens? I want to get a 300mm and I've seen a lot comments on a 50mm.

two good ideas certainly ... but you might also find out you want a somewhat wider angle sometimes :)

not sure what 300mm lenses are available. but the f/4 L is quite a good one and way cheaper than the f/2.8 L.

you could also consider the 70-200 L

What's your budget?

The 50mm F1.8 gets recommended because it's cheap and optically it's pretty good. If you have more money to spend, there are plenty of better lenses.

As for a long lens (300mm)...you can get a cheap 70-300mm zoom lens...or you can get a decent 70-300mm zoom...or you can get a 300mm prime lens (non-zoom)...for a rather high price.

You say that you just got your XTi...so why do you want to upgrade the lens already? Shoot with what you have until you know exactly what you want to upgrade to.

I will leave the lens question to the Canon folks here, but I just wanted to say congrats and enjoy your new camera!

At almost 1/4 of the price... "way cheaper" is right...

I'll be the first to ask.. budget?

ahh, darn, I always for get about that!

you are right ...

I have the Canon 70-300 with IS and it takes great shots outdoors. I mainly use it for sporting events.

What's your budget?

The 50mm F1.8 gets recommended because it's cheap and optically it's pretty good. If you have more money to spend, there are plenty of better lenses.

As for a long lens (300mm)...you can get a cheap 70-300mm zoom lens...or you can get a decent 70-300mm zoom...or you can get a 300mm prime lens (non-zoom)...for a rather high price.

You say that you just got your XTi...so why do you want to upgrade the lens already? Shoot with what you have until you know exactly what you want to upgrade to.

My budget is some what flexible i'm willing to spend the money if its the right lens. But like you've pointed out I did just get the camera so I want to make sure I get the right lens.

I've been researching the 50mm and for $70 it seems like a great deal. I love how you can shoot portraits.

Is a Prime lens better then just a regular lens?

Is a Prime lens better then just a regular lens?
When we say 'Prime' lens...we just mean that it's a fixed focal length lens (50mm for example) rather than a zoom lens (18-55mm for example).

For the most part, a prime lens will give you better image quality for a lower price than a zoom. Also, prime lenses will usually have larger max apertures than zoom lenses.

get the 50 for sure...I don't care who you are, everyone should have the 50 for the price. It's such a nice lens.

But other than that I'd say hold off a bit...learn your style, and then decide.

The 18-55 kit lens, I'd say, has all the versatility you need to get the feel of your camera (although quality rarely seems to be its selling point).

I've been looking up lenses myself, what with Santa coming and everything, I wasn't quite sure what to put on the note before I sent it up the chimney. I did however, find a lengthy review somewhere on the 50mm 1.8, along with comparison tests between that and the kit lens. There seemed to be more than a noticable difference in quality, which I guess is why the 50mm is recommended on here so much. I'm very tempted myself.

But regarding different focal lengths, use your camera for a while, find out what you like to shoot and you'll naturally decide on what lens is best for you.

The 18-55 kit lens, I'd say, has all the versatility you need to get the feel of your camera (although quality rarely seems to be its selling point).

I've been looking up lenses myself, what with Santa coming and everything, I wasn't quite sure what to put on the note before I sent it up the chimney. I did however, find a lengthy review somewhere on the 50mm 1.8, along with comparison tests between that and the kit lens. There seemed to be more than a noticable difference in quality, which I guess is why the 50mm is recommended on here so much. I'm very tempted myself.

But regarding different focal lengths, use your camera for a while, find out what you like to shoot and you'll naturally decide on what lens is best for you.

get the 50 get the 50 get the 50 get the 50

a 1.8 lens with great I.Q. for $75 is unbeatable! Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for you I paid $70 for an amazing Mark I version that you won't be able to get but I had the Mk II once and it is still great. (if you can find a Mk I on the internet used market, buy it, metal lens mount, REAL focus ring, and a distance scale)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back