So i thought I was switching to Nikon until...

wes1007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this morning I got a call from a local photography shop saying im a semi finalist in their "win a 6D" competition and 20 minutes later I get another call:

Sales rep: " Hi Wesley, was just looking through your purchasing history with us and i see your latest purchase was a Nikon 50mm f1.8D"
Me: " Yes?"
Sales rep: " well you see thats a bit of a problem..."
Me: "and why is this?"
Sales rep: " well you just won the 6D!"

Anyways, besides for feeling pretty stoked (ive been using a 1100D and 50mm f1.8 for a bit over a year now) my main reason for posting is... well do i keep the 6D and experience all the awesomeness of FF or do i sell it and go with the Nikon setup i was planning on getting (D7000 + 85 f1.8 +50mm f1.8 + 35mm f1.8)

I've had a look at a handful of Canon lenses, and id want to keep more or less the same setup. so 35/28mm 50mm (which i have already but i might swop out for a 1.4 instead) and an 85mm.

I mostly shoot setup/product shots and atm but am wanting to go into more portraiture.

Just looking for a 3rd view / opinion on this, more towards the line of what canon primes are worth the money.

Well done, very jealous!

Did you win just the body or did a lens come with the prize?

Just the body, but still awesome prize to win, also because it happens to be my birthday ;)

Ohhh, congratulations! I am jealous! Happy Birthday!

Thanks Guys!

okay so it looks like the 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 should work nicely and are more or less in my budget.

I will probably stagger them though, will keep my 50mm f1.8 until my 1100D is sold (someones already asked me to buy it with all its lenses) and then maybe i'll upgrade from there.

Congratulations!

A free Cannon 6D would be more than enough get me started shooting Cannon!

Congratulations!

A free Cannon 6D would be more than enough get me started shooting Cannon!
I'm guessing you shoot Nikon then? I wouldn't mind changing to Nikon but this is a chance for me to play with FF, So im not letting that go! that and i have to send the company pictures with the 6D so might as well keep it, just means im spending R12k on lenses so just over $1200

Sell the 6D, get a D600 instead. That's a no brainer!
it costs a fair bit more here in South Africa, R16 000 vs R22 000

I'm saving up for my first full-frame right now and I had to make the same decision: do I buy the D600 or the 6D?

Here are the pros and cons from my perspective:

6D:
  • The absolute best image quality at high ISO
  • Rated for focusing in very low light
  • Automatic GPS image tagging
  • Wi-Fi enabled so you can use a smartphone to control it (Sounds like a gimmick, but it means you don't have to buy a remote for doing long exposures!)

600D:
  • Headphone jack (Only really useful for shooting video)
  • Two SD card slots
  • Built-in flash
  • More focus points

In the end, the low-light capabilities of the 6D won me over. It being made by Canon also means I can share lenses between it and my my film camera.

It's all up to you in the end. Whatever works best for your needs is what you should get. If you don't want the D600 because of its higher price, the 6D will be just as wonderful a camera to use.

Get one of the 50's to go on it and play with it for a little bit, then get your hands on the Nikon body you wanted to see which you like. You're in a good spot to try things out to see what makes you feel good without any real risk to losing any $$. After all, you just won the Canon for free so if you end up preferring the Nikon model you are ahead selling the 6D to get what you want.

Here are the pros and cons from my perspective:

6D:
  • The absolute best image quality at high ISO
  • Rated for focusing in very low light
  • Automatic GPS image tagging
  • Wi-Fi enabled so you can use a smartphone to control it (Sounds like a gimmick, but it means you don't have to buy a remote for doing long exposures!)

600D:
  • Headphone jack (Only really useful for shooting video)
  • Two SD card slots
  • Built-in flash
  • More focus points

In the end, the low-light capabilities of the 6D won me over. It being made by Canon also means I can share lenses between it and my my film camera.

It's all up to you in the end. Whatever works best for your needs is what you should get. If you don't want the D600 because of its higher price, the 6D will be just as wonderful a camera to use.

6D has better low light capabilities than the D600? You may want to check that one again. Also, I never knew that Canon is known for backwards compatibility lens wise. Both of the advantages you've mentioned sounds more like you are describing the D600.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

Rank #2 Nikon D600
Rank #19 Canon 6D

Not trying to say you made the wrong choice, just pointing out that it seems that the reasons that you choose the 6D over the D600 may not be accurate.

6D has better low light capabilities than the D600? You may want to check that one again. Also, I never knew that Canon is known for backwards compatibility lens wise. Both of the advantages you've mentioned sounds more like you are describing the D600.

From what I've seen the 6D seems to be a lot better in low light in real world tests. Gavjenks posted a link in another thread.

Most reactions

Back