So I want to get into macro photography - do I need flash?

I think it is good to have. I use flash.

Example :
4934669523_21363d3606_z.jpg

However, someone maybe able to use focus stacking to increase the DoF of the final photos when taking a series of photo with a wider aperture. So, maybe not required. Of course, I have not tried focus stacking myself.

A member of our Camera club uses this set up:

4567660509_8270588740_o.jpg

He uses a kitlens, reverse ring adaptor, pop up flash, and a cover of the KFC bucket or a styro party plate as his diffuser.

For the samples of his images, click here: Insects & Bugs - a set on Flickr

Necessary? No. Useful and flexible? Yes. Along with sturdy tripod, good macro lens, remote shutter release, micro-focusing rails, and appropriate light modifiers. Although I have seen excellent macro shots taken with P&S cameras with add-on magnifier lenses. Each tool give you a bit more flexibility, a few more options.

This shot was taken with two flashes, macro lens, camera on focusing rail, remote shutter release. Subject is dandelion head with some seeds blown off.

Dandelionhead_8999.jpg

Ah! So you know more than you are letting on!

Okay, with the benefit of zilch experience I am going to opine that you do indeed need flash for macro photography although most macro photographers use ring flash :)

I got that wrong didn't I ???? :er:

Nope - there are no wrong answers here - only different ones

Yes. You will need a flash at some point.

Yes. You will need a flash at some point.

Regardless of which area of photography interests you, I might add. For general photography, I am of the opinion that an external flash should be one of the first accessories one should purchase, certainly before a new lens. A flash may not be as appropriate for someone that is shooting a bull moose with a 600mm lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back