So, I was playing with ISO

As a goal, though, you should shoot with as LOW an ISO as you can get away with and still get the shot you want. Your image will be cleaner with better detail.

When you say low-- You mean low as in 100, right? It isn't backwards in photography is it?

I had my camera set at 250-- I think 250 I was outside..

When he says low light, he means the light around you such as if your outdoors during the day, on inside a low lit room.

Here's what Scott Kelby does, this is from his Digital Photography Book. He starts his day with his ISO at 200 and Aperture Priority Mode so you have control over the focus in your photo's. If the shutter speed drops below 1/60 then he'll up the ISO. Although some people can shoot hand held at 1/30 etc.

Hope that helps.

ive got a question a tad off topic. ive always called is iso but ive never actually known. is it "eyeso" or "i.s.o."

ive got a question a tad off topic. ive always called is iso but ive never actually known. is it "eyeso" or "i.s.o."

I.S.O. International Organization for Standardization. I guess I.O.S. didn't sound as cool.

Old school guys will refer to it as ASA.

I think most people say it I-es-oh, although I *have* heard it pronounced ISO, as in eye-so, by a few experienced photographers in their on-line videos. You know, I think most people these days are far too worried about event the slightest hint of digital noie, and are overly paranoid about keeping their ISO low-low-low.

For quite a few years, I have felt that the increase in shutter speed, or the ability to shoot flash with a more-generous exposure for a given amount of flash output, or the ability to use a slightly smaller aperture for better depth of field--all three of those benefits make it worthwhile to shoot at a higher-than-baseline ISO under many conditions. Hey, I am all for ISO 200--but NOT when it means the exposure is something like 1/60 at f/4...in such cases, I think it's better to raise the ISO.

I'm a believer in shooting at ISO 320, or 400, or 500, or 640--if that will give me a better exposure, and an increased safety margin in terms, usually, of shutter speed. I think the benefits of shooting at the absolute-lowest ISO setting are grossly overstated by many people these days. I'll accept a slight bit of noise in exchange for a significantly better exposure,and virtually every time too, not just on rare occasions.

As a goal, though, you should shoot with as LOW an ISO as you can get away with and still get the shot you want. Your image will be cleaner with better detail.

When you say low-- You mean low as in 100, right? It isn't backwards in photography is it?

I had my camera set at 250-- I think 250 I was outside..

Yes, that's exactly right, the lower the number, the less sensitivity to light. And that advice is exactly right. You want to shoot with as low of an ISO as you can get away with.

If you are shooting fast-moving stuff outside but need to use a higher shutter speed, then you can kick up the ISO since the greater light sensitivity will allow you to shoot at a higher shutter speed.

As far as the other person, ignore the troll. Trolls get off on annoying people. That's the whole idea.

This No Dogs Dragon Bubba Guy, can anyone really type that stupid without being relatively smart?

Like Dolly Parton says "Takes a lot of money to look this cheap"

I notice he is from Alabama, so when we see him on Jerry Springer he should have had a haircut within the last year, and be wearing his best t-shirt. That will really make him feel classy.

He definitely gets my vote for "Most Annoying Poster on TPF, 2009" and doesn't even have 30 posts yet.

I'm a retired engineer, and in the industrial world, everyone I ever heard pronounced it eye - s - oh...if that really maters to anyone.:lol:

J.:confused:

My questions is.. Should it look the same on that tiny screen as on my computer? Or do I just adjust knowing that when I thought it was too dark it really looked fine on the computer?? or, am I supposed to know what ISO I wanted???
No. You cannot rely on the image you see on the LCD on the back of your camera.

You need to look at the histogram to guage the exposure.

Visit this web page to get some info on the histogram.

Your camera's users manual will explaine how to display the histogram of an image on your cameras LCD. On Nikons, we just use the up/down function on the rear menu option selection wheel while the image is displayed on the LCD.

Last edited:
My questions is.. Should it look the same on that tiny screen as on my computer? Or do I just adjust knowing that when I thought it was too dark it really looked fine on the computer?? or, am I supposed to know what ISO I wanted???
No. You cannot rely on the image you see on the LCD on the back of your camera.

You need to look at the histogram to guage the exposure.

KmH, I guess I have to thank you on behalf of the OP. You are the first poster that actually addresed the OP's question.
1 actual answer out of 26. Not that bad:))) The others were too busy with that stupid post made by whoever that person is!! and with the pronunciation of ISO that they actually missed the actual question...

Most reactions

Back