So I'm torn, upgrading to FX...

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
EDIT- I got it figured out, Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
so also worth mentioning is that video capabilities, weight/size of the body, and built in flash (or lack there of) mean absolutely nothing to me.

I wish they'd come out with a full sized body D4 without video for less money...but unfortunately thats probably a pipe dream...

I bought the D700 instead of the D3 because of the weight and cost; If the D3s had been available, I'd have been very sorely tempted just for the high iso performance.
The D700, as it is, is a much better camera than I am a photographer and I would only upgrade if there were both a significant increase in ISO and a better dynamic range (I shoot a lot in high contrast situations). I would be tempted by higher megapixels but not much.
So, since you have the world at your feet now, you can choose an end of production but still a fabulous camera, D700 or up your sights a bit and get the D800 when available.
But don't skimp or wait on lenses. The D700 body and the 24-70 2.8 is an unbeatable all around combination.

thanks, yeah, right now I'm kinda switching inbetween the D4 and scrimping and saving for a 24-70, and the D700+23-70+70-200. I've got some spare car/truck parts I'm trying to sell at the same time too, so if someone ends up buying those, it will probably give me just enough to go the D4 route, which would be nice, it definitely has everything I'm looking for (well, assuming it's at least as good as the D3s, which I'm sure it will be, but since it hasn't been released yet it's something that is still unknown)...but the D700 is a pretty tempting option too. Luckily I have a month or so to really decide before the D4 comes out so I can see what it's like in person, and before the next events I'm going to be shooting at.

thanks, yeah, right now I'm kinda switching inbetween the D4 and scrimping and saving for a 24-70, and the D700+23-70+70-200. I've got some spare car/truck parts I'm trying to sell at the same time too, so if someone ends up buying those, it will probably give me just enough to go the D4 route, which would be nice, it definitely has everything I'm looking for (well, assuming it's at least as good as the D3s, which I'm sure it will be, but since it hasn't been released yet it's something that is still unknown)...but the D700 is a pretty tempting option too. Luckily I have a month or so to really decide before the D4 comes out so I can see what it's like in person, and before the next events I'm going to be shooting at.

There are a lot of people hoping that D700 prices will drop a good bit with the arrival of the D800.. so that might be a good possibility for you! Great body! And the lenses are really more important, as long as the body will do what you need ISO wise.

There are a lot of people hoping that D700 prices will drop a good bit with the arrival of the D800.. so that might be a good possibility for you! Great body! And the lenses are really more important, as long as the body will do what you need ISO wise.

says the man who's already purchased a D4 heh

I've thought about that too, but I don't really know if it will affect the prices, if the d800 is a 36mp monster, then its not even in the same class as the D700. it may even make the D700 prices rise since I think a high ISO 12mp used D700 might be more widely desired than a so-so ISO huge 36MP studio D800....who knows though, thats all speculation...I guess it's supposed to come out in a couple days, we'll see what happens then...

If you're mainly doing low-light photography, I'd look into something brighter than f/2.8. Instead of the 24-70 (which is alright), look into the f/1.4G primes. They'll separates subjects out of the background better, and bring in 4 times the light. In my experience, you'll almost never have to go past ISO 1600 with them if you're shooting wide open.

My event set up is usually the D700 + 24G & 50G or 35G + 85G. Just scoot back and forth. It's alot lighter, brighter, and more interesting than a midrange zoom. If you have any experience with what the event is than you'll easily be able to anticipate what lens you need. Last event all I used was the 24 and the 85.

says the man who's already purchased a D4 heh

Yes.. but I already have the lenses! :)

Have to wait and see what happens... Nikon usually doesn't take a step backward (although it is possible they are trying to place the D800 so as not to take D4 sales away.. like the D700 did to the D3's)

If you're mainly doing low-light photography, I'd look into something brighter than f/2.8. Instead of the 24-70 (which is alright), look into the f/1.4G primes. They'll separates subjects out of the background better, and bring in 4 times the light. In my experience, you'll almost never have to go past ISO 1600 with them if you're shooting wide open.

My event set up is usually the D700 + 24G & 50G or 35G + 85G. Just scoot back and forth. It's alot lighter, brighter, and more interesting than a midrange zoom. If you have any experience with what the event is than you'll easily be able to anticipate what lens you need. Last even all I used was the 24 and the 85.

I have to admit.. I am absolutely amazed at what the 85 1.4 will do .. wonderful lens! :)

I'd get the D4, then use the lenses you have when you can, rent on the rare ones that you'll need something different, and save up for the other ones.

A lesser body with top glass will almost always out-perform a top-of-the-line body with mediocre glass.

My event set up is usually the D700 + 24G & 50G or 35G + 85G. Just scoot back and forth. It's alot lighter, brighter, and more interesting than a midrange zoom. If you have any experience with what the event is than you'll easily be able to anticipate what lens you need. Last event all I used was the 24 and the 85.

well, when I say low light, I'm not talking total darkness or something (at least for business purposes, I do like night shoots for fun though), more like poorly lit shops, conference halls, exhibits, etc...although I love primes for work that I have full control over, they rarely work for my event coverage, many times I just have to work with what I am given, and don't usually have the area or time to move around a frame stuff up correctly with a prime, and I'd need a hell of a lot more than 85mm...we're talking 5 mile long runs where the vehicles end up going 300+mph sometimes, last time I was at speed week, I was lucky I had a 200mm, was wishing I had a 400...though thats usually out in the sun and well lit...for field work there really isn't a way I'm going to be able to only use primes exclusively...I do use them for product shots, and my personal shooting though...

I'd love to get the 85 1.4, and probably will someday, but that can wait for now.

I'd get the D4, then use the lenses you have when you can, rent on the rare ones that you'll need something different, and save up for the other ones.

right now I'm leaning towards this too

A lesser body with top glass will almost always out-perform a top-of-the-line body with mediocre glass.

oh, I completely agree, however a better body with the exact same top glass will out perform a lesser body all else being equal....and in the end, I will end up with the top glass for sure, really looking at the same lenses to get regardless of which body I end up with...it may just take a little longer to collect some of the glass depending on the body I end up with.

okay, I think I've come to a decision. I'm going to keep looking in the used market for a D700 or D3s in extremely good condition, and with a good price (it's going to have to be really worth my while if I buy it used), if nothing turns up by the time the D4 ships, I'm going to jump on the D4.

regardless of body, I'm going to be collecting the top tier FX glass that I can. mainly 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 vr2, and depending on prices maybe another one, maybe the other trinity lens, but I don't need super wide angles too often...if I end up with the D4, I'll work on getting the 24-70 first, then rent as needed until I can get the others. (rental prices aren't as bad as I expected them to be. I've never really looked into it too much before this)

if I end up getting a D700 or D3s, I'll use it and slowly save up for whatever the sucessor to the D4 is going to be (D4s?) several years down the line, if I end up getting the D4, then that should be future "proof" for a good long time.

to me that seems like a good idea if I can snag a d700/D3s for a sweet deal then it will be very worth my while to save some money.

I'd still look into getting an exotic or fast prime in the midrange. It's almost as if everyone who has a FF Nikon digital uses the 24-70, and it's just...boring for something so expensive.

Most reactions

Back