So.... I've been reading my manual...

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have and I've been practicing the metering thing, which I was completely oblivious to before. :blushing:

I am figuring it out.

So someone mentioned this FPBK1 Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash Basic Kit with 2 160 Watt Second Flashes, 7' Light Stands, 33" White Umbrellas & Softex Carrying Case. in another thread and I've been looking for affordable lighting.

I had recently put up a thread asking if I should get a 50mm 1.8 and a 55-250mm lens or just a 50mm 1.4....

Well, now I'm thinking... should I try to find out a combo of those and this lighting set?

I am doing mostly people shots. Inside and out. Kids, couples, singles, all of it (not for $, but still want it to be good!). So... anyone have any advice?

Skip the lighting until I can afford more or sacrifice a lens and get the lighting?

I'm looking to spend about $5-600 on camera stuff soon. Would love to figure out something in that range that would really help me out.

I am gonna need a tripod too. Should I just get an on camera flash unit with a good diffuser?

So much to think about!

Thanks in advance for any useful advice!

with a good lighting setup, you should be able to get great photos with just the kit lens. Also, consider getting the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I have it, and it's pretty great for less than $400.

Are you shooting inside, or outside mostly? What Robert said is very true. Most portraiture is done at middle apertures.

Yeah, I'd say use the lens you have and get the lighting. The 50mm's are great for low light, natural light because of the apperture.

However, you may be interested in that very narrow DOF they give.

Get good at your lighting, and then think about your next lens.

I don't mind an offbrand lens, or used! But I'm FAR from rich and I'm extremely nervous about buying used or a brand where the autofocus won't work with my Canon.

Another vote for lighting...... however, due diligence is required in your research. Often you'll be able to piece together better made items rather than a lot of the kits you find bundled together. Not to say the kit you linked isn't good, but 7' stands are on the short side.... 8' to 10' is better. A 33" umbrella is a bit small..... I'd rather have a 42" to increase the size of the light. This will soften the light.

I would also suggest a one light setup to start with. Learn how to see (in your mind) and control the light with modifiers with one light first, then add on other lights and modifiers.

How are you planning to trigger the lights? I'm assuming you're talking about off camera flash. You'll need to add that to your budget.

If you're shooting an umbrella outside, you'll really want to have some counterweight to anchor the stand. A slight breeze can easily topple an umbrella. You'll want to add that to your budget too.

I had thought about the weights and really thought about using something DIY.

I wouldn't mind something pieced together, but I don't even know where to begin.

As I said earlier, " But I'm FAR from rich and I'm extremely nervous about buying used" and buying something that I've put together rather than it being manufactured together.

No. I use Cybersync's, but there are cheaper options and Pocket Wizards are a much more expensive route.

I don't mind an offbrand lens, or used! But I'm FAR from rich and I'm extremely nervous about buying used or a brand where the autofocus won't work with my Canon.

If I were you, after your light, seriously look into that tamron lens! Why?? You can read it below.

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF Lens Review

It's a very good lens. It has excellent image quality as you will read from the post. People said I'd miss not getting 24-70 2.8L but I'd much rather have the 24-105 4L + the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (for when I need that low night shots) as a combo :)

I would buy the 2-light kit...one light is nice, but two is more useful. Seven foot stands will be high enough for "most" situations you'll encounter, but one 10 to 11 foot stand would be nice to have, although not 100% essential.

Most reactions

Back