So many out of focus photos?

I didn't read all PP posts, but I'm actually seeing a lot of motion blur in your photos, which means either your hand isn't steady enough or your shutter is too low. If you are just starting out, I would suggest keeping your shutter at 1/250 or higher until you learn to steady your hand. For any shots that are in motion (walking, swinging, running), your shutter needs to be at 1/500 to avoid motion blur.

F/1.4 can be very difficult to shoot at if you are not accustomed to using it. If you or your subject move even a millimeter as you are pressing the shutter, it can be the difference between an eye being in or out of focus. When you are further away, slight movement can move focus to the ear or the hairline, instead of the eyes. You can get really nice depth of field shooting at 2.2 or even 2.8. Try that for the next shoot in addition to bumping up your shutter speed and see if the result is a higher focus rate.

Having read the posts, the only thing I can add is if you are using a tripod is
A take off the strap, even the slightest wind will move the shoulder strap causing movement all be it slight
B have you thought using a remote trigger thus not touching the camera
C did not see if someone else has posted this but a canon lens fitted image stableisation needs to have the IS off when mounted on a tripod... apparently the IS seems to overcompensate
Re hand held
Someone mentioned coming from a firearms background
A trick used when shooting is to breath in and shoot whilst holding the breath,
I find that as I am from the film days,,, I hold the lens in left hand with elbow tucked into my body to brace the camera
Hope this old fossil has been of help

It's definitely motion blur caused by too slow of a shutter speed. With practice you can still nail the focus even with your aperture set to f/1.4, but you're going to have to use faster shutter speeds and not be afraid to jack up the ISO. I use an old 5D from 2006 and still get great shots at ISO 800+, so don't fool yourself into believing that high ISO settings mean low quality and only limiting yourself to ISO 100. Speed up that shutter and ISO, and practice nailing the focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back