So much for the "No Pros use Sony" argument :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who ever said that?

This one is a CLASSIC canikon.jpg

And this 360 degree panoramic shot is pretty cool too....all I see are BIG CANON L-glass lenses and BIG NIKKOR ED glass lenses...

Beijing Olympics Stadium: about 30 min. before Men's 100m Final

But, glad you could find a single image of a man using a Sony!!!

Sony does make some nice cameras though. And they make some fantastic headphones too.

Not sure what the point is... with over six billion people on the planet, you can find almost anything you can imagine; I'm sure somewhere there's a pro using an old Olympus PEN half-frame. Not many professionals use Sony because Sony doesn't have a professional body in their line-up.

Well he is Dutch and they are a zany bunch.

Gary Fong recently jumped onto the Sony Bandwagon. Of course, he's retired and is only shooting his kids now days, but he's shooting Sony.
Honestly? Sony is really stepping up their game. I think people like us who have been in the field too long are underestimating them these days.

This one is a CLASSIC canikon.jpg

And this 360 degree panoramic shot is pretty cool too....all I see are BIG CANON L-glass lenses and BIG NIKKOR ED glass lenses...

Beijing Olympics Stadium: about 30 min. before Men's 100m Final

But, glad you could find a single image of a man using a Sony!!!

Sony does make some nice cameras though. And they make some fantastic headphones too.

Thank for sharing this photo, it is great.. and I will have to show it to my friend because:

I am a Canon fanboy but this is for fun and this doesn't mean anything. my Nikon friend always say that there are more Nikon shooters even in sports but you don't see them because they are black and I always see mroe whites than blacks where ever there are a group of photographers.. So I counted them on the pic and I am right 12 Nikon vs 30 Canon. So the whites are more because they are more not because you can see the whites easier than the blacks..

Edit: Sorry OP and Sony guys, I couldn't help not posting in here although not related to the subject

Always an exception or two for every rule =)

Gary Fong recently jumped onto the Sony Bandwagon. Of course, he's retired and is only shooting his kids now days, but he's shooting Sony.
Honestly? Sony is really stepping up their game. I think people like us who have been in the field too long are underestimating them these days.

Check this out...2012 Nikon News and Comments by Thom Hogan

Sony's compact camera sales last year slid terribly, down from 11.3 million units sold to only 8 million units sold...

"Nikon grew Coolpix sales from 7.86m units to 8.26m units when Sony's compact camera sales slid from 11.3m units to 8m units."

As Thom wrote, "As I've written before, Nikon is now a camera company. As goes the camera group, so goes Nikon. Nikon expects to sell almost 22% of all compact cameras this year, 37% of all interchangeable lens cameras (DSLRs and mirrorless), and 24% of all cameras. Nikon's current position can be summed up as this: for Nikon to continue to grow, it will have to take sales away from other camera makers. Indeed, for Nikon to continue to grow at the rate it has in the last two years, Nikon will have to aggressively take market share from other competitors."

Sony, as we all probably know, has not turned a profit in literally YEARS now. And is suffering through RECORD losses, almost every quarter...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but SONY is the electronics company that bought a bankrupt camera company, Minolta, err. I mean the bankrupt Minolta that was sold and became KONICA-Minolta, to get entry into the d-slr market...with visions of profit in their head....but...so far...SONY d-slr sales are dismal...

Canon and Nikon are killing SONY. But only in terms of sales, distribution, service, rental availability, professional services networks, and installed user base. And lens systems. I really do not think I am understimating SONY....in fact, I do not think that it's possible to under-estimate SONY (f you get my meaning...).

Sony's compact camera sales last year slid terribly, down from 11.3 million units sold to only 8 million units sold...

"Nikon grew Coolpix sales from 7.86m units to 8.26m units when Sony's compact camera sales slid from 11.3m units to 8m units."

As Thom wrote, "As I've written before, Nikon is now a camera company. As goes the camera group, so goes Nikon. Nikon expects to sell almost 22% of all compact cameras this year, 37% of all interchangeable lens cameras (DSLRs and mirrorless), and 24% of all cameras. Nikon's current position can be summed up as this: for Nikon to continue to grow, it will have to take sales away from other camera makers. Indeed, for Nikon to continue to grow at the rate it has in the last two years, Nikon will have to aggressively take market share from other competitors."

Sony, as we all probably know, has not turned a profit in literally YEARS now. And is suffering through RECORD losses, almost every quarter...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but SONY is the electronics company that bought a bankrupt camera company, Minolta, err. I mean the bankrupt Minolta that was sold and became KONICA-Minolta, to get entry into the d-slr market...with visions of profit in their head....but...so far...SONY d-slr sales are dismal...

Canon and Nikon are killing SONY. But only in terms of sales, distribution, service, rental availability, professional services networks, and installed user base. And lens systems. I really do not think I am understimating SONY....in fact, I do not think that it's possible to under-estimate SONY (f you get my meaning...).

I didn't say underestimating their sales. Their actual new DSLR performance is not bad.
I wouldn't invest in it because I'd be afraid of them going belly up and then I'd be invested in something that's got a sum total of zero resale value and you can't upgrade and still use what you've invested in. They also don't offer cameras that go where I need them to go.

MLeeK said:
I didn't say underestimating their sales. Their actual new DSLR performance is not bad.
I wouldn't invest in it because I'd be afraid of them going belly up and then I'd be invested in something that's got a sum total of zero resale value and you can't upgrade and still use what you've invested in. They also don't offer cameras that go where I need them to go.

So many negatives with SONY...fear that they are not really committed to the serious market...fears of low or nonexistent resale value...cameras that are not in line with the expectations of serious users...

Your comments pretty much summarize some of the main obstacles SONY has faced as a new kid on the block....

Their products look and feel good. But frankly, Nikon's 1948 to 2006 lead on SONY is kind of a big thing for me, and millions of others...BUT, by the same token...I do think I could assemble and buy a SONY transmissive mirror SLR "system" that would work for a number of specialties....I sure could....I could buy two good bodies, two flashes, and a few lenses, and shoot fine,capable work with SONY gear. Buuut....I could not locally RENT ANYTHING I might need....and I could if it were Nikon, or Hassy, or Canon, or Mamiya.

If it wasn't for Sony sensor, NIkon would have been killed before Sony by Canon. You know how terrible their camera before they start using Sony sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back