ps don't mind InTempus - he is just itching as he waits for the 1DMIV release details - October 20th
You know when you go into camera menus on most digital cameras there is a list of settings to deal with saturation, colours, brightness even back and white or colour -- settings that will be applied to all the shots taken on that camera (JPEGS only if using a DSLR).
So most digital cameras have already edited your shot before you have it out of the camera. Just like with film cameras the digital results need editing before they are presentable as an image.
Digital cameras can shoot in a RAW mode which lets the photographer make these choices for colours, saturation etc... as well as more key choices like exposure and white balance as opposed to having the camera make those choices for them.
So its a choice - either the photographer makes it or the camera does what it thinks - which is mostly quite decent these days, but might not be the result the photographer wants.
As for taking things further - cloning out elements - adjusting highlights, colours etc.... Those are things that the photographer really has to decide on their own - unless govened by an overseeing body (eg working for a newspaper which might have limititations) or entry into a competition (many restrict edits to what is and is not allowed).
My own view is that as a photographer I am creating an image - I do my best to get that right in camera so that I have the best to work with after. Should the camera fail or be unable to get the result I desire then I will gladly use editing methods to get the results that I need. I don't hide how I edit when asked though and I do have limitations on how far I will edit a shot - I am a photographer (ooh titles) but no digital artist.