So this is going to sound stupid... Q's about wedding lenses

From your website, you seem to be a pretty decent photographer in general in terms of composition and focus and exposure and posing and such, but:

1)
I hate using artificial light.
This alone would make me not hire you if I overheard it and was looking for a photographer for my wedding.

Not having mastered artificial light is a major handicap and IMO is like wanting to be a professional realistic painter who tries to paint with only randomly grabbed handfuls of colors.

You might get lucky with some scenes, but if I'm getting married, I don't want to roll the dice on whether natural light will happen to fall in your favor with my reception photos. I want to KNOW that you can MAKE the light you need and confidently sculpt it to your will no matter what and can therefore guarantee optimal shots. Because while I might be willing to risk reshooting a low stakes senior shoot if it doesn't work out optimally, I'm not going to have a second wedding in better light.

In your portfolio, the aversion to artificial light does show. You seem to cope about as well as can be expected for somebody not used to using flash, but it's clear in many cases that the light was just bad and you got stuck and had no means to compensate fully: raccoon eyes or flat lighting or harsh shadows that don't look intentional, or often distracting backgrounds that could have been isolated out with flash, etc.

2)
No matter how good somebody is at couples portraits, and flash issues aside, I would advise nobody to jump head first into weddings by themselves in general.

Weddings are super stressful, they have all sorts of their own special expectations, the subjects' emotions are running high, and there's no reshooting. They are comparatively very difficult to just jump into, and I wouldn't advise anybody to go shoot their first one cold without having served as a second shooter on other weddings first. A second shooter for at least is mandatory here, IMO, and it would be even better if you were the second shooter with an experienced photog at the helm.

If you're gonna do it one way or the other, though, equipment and prep: I recommend getting one of the off camera flash cords that Tirediron linked ASAP, and practice with off camera handheld speedlight flash relentlessly all the way up to the wedding. A little bracket that lets you handhold the speedlight into a small white translucent umbrella is a nice option to have too.

And then rent a 70-200 2.8 with your glass rental budget. I don't think that will require much practice, but you may still want to rent it a couple days out in advance to get a feel for it.

Then if you have enough cash left over or can squeeze anything out of the bride and groom, rent a backup copy of the same body you already own! Not just backup, also means "two lenses that are almost instantaneous to switch between"

Also of course get a backup battery and another SD card or two if you don't have them already. And bring backup AA's for your speedlight, etc. anything like that lots of backups.

Annnnnd make sure you have a shoulder bag or something that lets you switch out lenses or bodies very quickly.

As a person who shot his first wedding with ONE rebel camera and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (plus other lenses), I must agree with gsgary. 70-200 isnt versatile enough especially for ONE crop sensor camera. I can see using 70-200 during the portrait session but there is no way in hell i use it for ceremony on ONE camera. You will miss too many moments that require wider angle. I barely touched the 70-200. If you didnt already have 24-105, I would have suggested 24-70. I think having another body is your best bet or just shoot with what you have.

Oh wait I forgot that you said you are allowed to get close to the ceremony. In that case, maybe not the 70-200.

Oh wait I forgot that you said you are allowed to get close to the ceremony. In that case, maybe not the 70-200.

Yea, if you can get close, then a 24-70 f/2.8 might be a better choice.
This is why wedding photographers have so many lenses.

Not having mastered artificial light is a major handicap and IMO is like wanting to be a professional realistic painter who tries to paint with only randomly grabbed handfuls of colors.

It's not that I won't use a flash or artificial light, I just haven't had much luck with it. Anyone with a good tutorial on directing an external flash? I know the basics and how to bounce it but I'm still pretty confused when it comes to modifiers. I have a softbox attachment but that doesn't do me much good or at least I'm not using it effectively.

Weddings are super stressful, they have all sorts of their own special expectations, the subjects' emotions are running high, and there's no reshooting. They are comparatively very difficult to just jump into, and I wouldn't advise anybody to go shoot their first one cold without having served as a second shooter on other weddings first. A second shooter for at least is mandatory here, IMO, and it would be even better if you were the second shooter with an experienced photog at the helm.

I get the stress factor (once in a lifetime moments & such) but to be honest it doesn't make me all that terrified. Either that's good or I am incredibly stupid, either way I've worked fast paced events. Ever photograph a beauty pageant? About 25-40 girls all having meltdowns and crying fits while their moms' (iPhones in hand!) steamroll you to get a better view while you just try to get each and every girl's picture without being screamed at or knocked over. It's all done in a low-lit room and centers around huge dresses and an aggressive crowd. I know it's nothing close to a wedding by any means, but it's closer to a wedding than a simple portrait session.

Renting another lens is not going to make you shoot it better you have all you need except the knowledge so get 2 friends to pose for you in as many different lighting conditions as possible, having too much gear will confuse you more, another body would be more use 1 for your 24-105 and 1 for your 50 but unless you are used to carrying and using 2 cameras you would be wasting your money

I'm sure she shoots just fine.
What renting another lens will do is give her a faster zoom lens for a possibly low lit church. There won't be a dramatic learning curve going from a 24-105 to a 70-200.

I say rent the 70-200 2.8 and rock that wedding hard!
Use your 50mm (either the 1.8 or the 1.4 if you buy one) for the formals.

Will do! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

70-200 on a crop body is too long and will probably be less versatile

Yea, if you can get close, then a 24-70 f/2.8 might be a better choice.
This is why wedding photographers have so many lenses.

This is a bit of a contradiction

How is a wedding photographer having lots of lenses a contradiction?

Apparently more than one of us missed where she said she would be allowed to get close to the stage. (I did mention not seeing that part.)That information changed the parameters of the wedding, therefore changing what I would recommend as a rental lens to shoot with.

If you never go back on what you say, that must mean you are never wrong.

Unfortunately, I am sometimes wrong, so I have to make corrections.
I would rather admit to being wrong and give good advice, than refuse to admit I missed a piece of information and stick to a suggestion that might be less than the best advice I can offer.

Apparently more than one of us missed where she said she would be allowed to get close to the stage. (I did mention not seeing that part.)That information changed the parameters of the wedding, therefore changing what I would recommend as a rental lens to shoot with.

If you never go back on what you say, that must mean you are never wrong.

Unfortunately, I am sometimes wrong, so I have to make corrections.
I would rather admit to being wrong and give good advice, than refuse to admit I missed a piece of information and stick to a suggestion that might be less than the best advice I can offer.

I didn't miss that information and i'm never wrong

Well, I'm wrong quite a bit, which my wife will confirm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back