So this is going to sound stupid... Q's about wedding lenses

2 years ago, I took my 60D and 24-70 f2.8L to my (ex) step-daughters wedding as a guest. While I used my 580 EX ii flash on some of the shots, I was happy to go no flash, wide open, at ISO 2400. What a mistake! The problem was I hadn't yet learned what shutter speeds I needed to stop subject motion and camera shake. In some shots, I had to push the ISO up to 3200 and the noise was tolerable, but still more than I wanted. White balance was also an issue due to a screwy, unevenly lit venue.

If I had it to do over again with your gear, I'd leave the 24-105 at home as it's too slow (even though it was and still is my most-used lens!) and rent a 24-70 f2.8L ii. As mentioned above, an external flash is a REQUIREMENT for sufficient lighting in a lot of cases. Also note that DOF gets rather thin when at or near wide open so for group shots, you'll likely need to use the flash so you can use a smaller aperture.

Also, since you'll be renting a lens, definitely get it a couple of days early and practice with it for a while to get the 'feel' of it and what it can and can't do.

Last edited:
If it comes to renting a lens the highly regarded sigma 50-150 f2.8 OS might be a versatile option

Most reactions

New Topics

Back