So whats wrong with kit lenses?

Although I do not shoot Sony, but I heard a lot of good things about the Beercan (70-210mm F/4)

What are your reservations with Sigma or Tamron?

Well, I'm under the impression that some older quality gear is built better than the new stuff (i.e. metal vs plastic, etc..), but I wasn't into photography when the Minolta lenses were out, so I'm not sure if they are actually built better than the new Sigmas and Tamrons. However I do have an older Minolta 50mm 1.7 that is great!

The Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 seems to have a loud af motor (which doesn't bother me too much), very soft above 210mm, loads of youtube videos of broken af motors or unable to get a focus, and a 2 year warranty.

I understand the Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 to be a slightly lesser of quality than the Sigma in build quality (this was an aggregate of different opinions on it), low quality standards, purple fringing of high contrast areas, although it does have a 6 year warranty which is a +.

See first page for my post that has links to the lenses of which I'm referring. The bottom two links of the Sig and Tam.

Although I do not shoot Sony, but I heard a lot of good things about the Beercan (70-210mm F/4)

I have too, but for some reason I want a higher zoom. Maybe I'll compromise, but we'll see.

Well after research today, I'm still not certain what to choose. Between the 70-300 Tamron and Sigma. I see a load of youtube videos with super loud and broken autofocus motors on the Sigmas, and read and see a load of purple fringing from the Tamron lens... Maybe I'll just get an old Minolta zoom lens. This is turning out to be a PITA! :x

Get a hold of a good medium 'beercan' lens and you're set.

As a Sony shooter, you can find a good community of people trading/selling equipment here: Dyxum.com - home of the Minolta / Alpha-mount dSLR photographer

Cheers!

Well after research today, I'm still not certain what to choose. Between the 70-300 Tamron and Sigma. I see a load of youtube videos with super loud and broken autofocus motors on the Sigmas, and read and see a load of purple fringing from the Tamron lens... Maybe I'll just get an old Minolta zoom lens. This is turning out to be a PITA! :x

Get a hold of a good medium 'beercan' lens and you're set.

As a Sony shooter, you can find a good community of people trading/selling equipment here: Dyxum.com - home of the Minolta / Alpha-mount dSLR photographer

Cheers!

I'll explore! Thanks for the info!

Most reactions

Back