So you thought M43 was compact, meet the Pentax Q

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Didn't see it posted here but Pentax released their new product; Pentax Q. Looks to be some sort of digital version of the Auto 110.

Five New Lenses Announced By Pentax

You don't get a sense of just how small this camera is until you see it here:

Pentax Q Compact System Camera - Hands-On Preview

Due to price point and TINY sensor, its probably not for me nor most members here. Just figure I would post it for discussion. I have reservations on how successful this camera will be.... maybe.. just maybe... start up some sort of cult following similar to the case of the 110. As a capable system for serious photography... probably not. I guess I'll just have to wait to see hi-rez samples.

PS> lol... . seeing that HUGE flash mounted on it is amusing.

Sweet size.

ZURPENTAXQ-VERT400.JPG

It's certainly tiny!
But at $800+ I think its cult following will be very small indeed and whilst I respect the complexity of such a small camera of this type - it just seems to be - rather mismatched between what it is and what its price is (I mean seriously who wants digital rangefinder type camera at $800+lens on their keychain - that thing takes abuse like anything ;)

I mean seriously who wants digital rangefinder type camera at $800+lens on their keychain -

Probably the same type of person who will pay $6,995 for a digital Leica M9 rangefinder body, and then shell out $3,695 for a 50mm Summilum-M lens for it...

I mean seriously who wants digital rangefinder type camera at $800+lens on their keychain -

Probably the same type of person who will pay $6,995 for a digital Leica M9 rangefinder body, and then shell out $3,695 for a 50mm Summilum-M lens for it...

Already said it wasn't for me.... the sensor size is smaller than even the S95.

Feeling ok Derrel? Is there something such a miss that you must obsess over the fruits of my labor? You are the only one.... Its the "ONLY" luxury I have in my life. I enjoy it. Is there a problem with that?

Buy many cheap things.. Buy a few expensive things... Never buy many expensive things.

PS> Far left of "that" picture... if you must obsess over the value of such stupid non-important things.

I don't really get it. I would, if it cost $300, and the lens $100 each. Few people believed pentax would really do it, but here it is. A mirrorless system around a sensor of a $100 P&S. That's just the regular P&S, bottom of the line when you compare the sensor sizes. All it has is the looks that may appeal to some, although I'm really starting to feel there's just too much of these retro cameras. Camera designers must really enjoy the last years, not having to do anything, just copy the ancient stuff.

Fortunately Pentax is yet to announce another system, using a real sensor, not a fingernail. Much more curious about that one.

I am a bit concerned what will Nikon come up with. Its mirroeless system is said to have a crop factor of 2.5. It's way larger than the 5.5 crop of this Pentax, but only about half the size of a m43 sensor, and significantly smaller than APS-C. Let's hope Nikon knows what it's doing.

Last edited:
There are so many mirrorless rumors right now i cant keep them straight.. nikon one has been spreading for quite sometime. theres a canon one too. The newish rumor lately is Fuji making an interchangeable lens version of the x100. Sensor size is just part of it.... case in point NEX, struggling to gain marketshare even though it has a larger sensor to the micro 43. A complete system of lenses is another.... which micro 43 is slowly addresssing and Samsung never quite offered enough to get out of the starting gates. Leica's owner has also dropped some serious hints of a new mirrorless nonrangefinder system for photokina 2012. A system that might solve the R users problem of no forward digital solution.

When mirror less gained some popularity with micro 43, there were lots of skeptics from the DSLR camp. I think its just a matter of time when someone gets the formula just right....

Most reactions

Back