So You Wanna See the Difference Between Full Frame and Cropped Sensors?

Did you really need a thread for this? Most of us know this without needing picture references.

Did you really need a thread for this? Most of us know this without needing picture references.
I think it's a great thread because while most people know that full frame is better...many of them don't necessarily understand the how & why. And I'd venture that there are a lot of people who are at the stage of deciding whether to buy a full frame or a high end APS-C.

kundalini said:
Nope, just had a Sunday afternoon to kill.

Good to know this information is already well known by most of you. Thanks for looking.

I didn't know anything about full frame or crop sensor a few months ago. I've heard full frame was better but I never knew why. I honestly didn't think there would be that much of a difference. So thank you for taking the time to show me and everyone else!
I guarantee this information isn't well known by everyone on this forum.

And I have yet to know what full frame and sensor even are. Good to see the comparisons although I don't yet understand them!

I think it's a great thread because while most people know that full frame is better...many of them don't necessarily understand the how & why.

Your former crop sensor brethren weep at your conversion to the fullframe world and your disguarding of your crop past!

I think it's a great thread because while most people know that full frame is better...many of them don't necessarily understand the how & why.

Your former crop sensor brethren weep at your conversion to the fullframe world and your disguarding of your crop past!
I'm not getting rid of my 20Ds any time soon. Although, they won't get much use anymore. I did some quick shots yesterday with a 20D....I could barely read the menu....the LCD screen is so small. :lol:
I've seen some 40Ds for sale for great prices....that is actually pretty tempting.

Can you post side by side comparisons of the dx and the fx cropped to match?

Right click > Save Picture As > Name them the same but with a 1 after the DX and 2 after the FF (monkey1, monkey2, etc ) then you can compare them more easily in Windows, and even zoom in for better detail.

Right click > Save Picture As > Name them the same but with a 1 after the DX and 2 after the FF (monkey1, monkey2, etc ) then you can compare them more easily in Windows, and even zoom in for better detail.

It says his photos aren't ok to edit, so that's why I didn't

Also, these are jpegs so they really won't give me the info I'm looking for. I just really want to know what the difference is between a DX image and an FX image that has been cropped

Also, these are jpegs so they really won't give me the info I'm looking for. I just really want to know what the difference is between a DX image and an FX image that has been cropped

It should be identical. IQ may be a little different. The background, size of subject, size of circle confusion should be the same after you crop the FX image.

It should be identical. IQ may be a little different. The background, size of subject, size of circle confusion should be the same after you crop the FX image.

IQ is exactly what I'm wanting to see. I'm wanting to see exactly what the difference is between the two, and much of this extra "reach" you really get with a crop body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back