Soaring like a vulture.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This glider was riding a thermal out back of our house yesterday.

P8310001.jpg

Cool pic. That reminds me, I need to trim mine and get it balanced and take it out for a fly around. Mine is electric with a collapsible propeller on the nose. A Calypso 52".

Cool pic. That reminds me, I need to trim mine and get it balanced and take it out for a fly around. Mine is electric with a collapsible propeller on the nose. A Calypso 52".

When I was a teenager, I used to fly model aircraft in competitions, mostly U-control but some free-flight. One time a FF competition came up unexpectedly for me @ a flying field 5 min walking distance from my home.
I had nothing to enter, so I frantically assembled a tow-line glider out of scrap parts. I used a yard stick for the body, wings from a previous tow-line & the tail assembly from assorted bits. I had no time to incorporate a dethermolizer.
If your plane stayed in flight for three minutes after release, you got maximum points. I made the three minutes on my first flight, caught a thermal & the plane disappeared into the sky never to be seen again.

When I was a teenager, I used to fly model aircraft in competitions, mostly U-control but some free-flight. One time a FF competition came up unexpectedly for me @ a flying field 5 min walking distance from my home.
I had nothing to enter, so I frantically assembled a tow-line glider out of scrap parts. I used a yard stick for the body, wings from a previous tow-line & the tail assembly from assorted bits. I had no time to incorporate a dethermolizer.
If your plane stayed in flight for three minutes after release, you got maximum points. I made the three minutes on my first flight, caught a thermal & the plane disappeared into the sky never to be seen again.

Cool story, Ron. Reminds me of a time at Ft. Hood when we were all bored. We'd just had pizza delivered out to the field (rare occasion) and we had a contest to see who could make a sailboat out of a pizza box. No prize involved, just for fun an I made a sail boat, with keel, that floated and took off when the wind hit it just like a real sail boat. It surprised me that it actually worked. Then we bombed it with rocks and sunk it. (It's an Army thing.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back