Soft effect flower - does it work?

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a shot I took last week of the first crocus' to come up this spring.

I want to know what you think of the soft effect and the composition. (Ignore the frame)

CrocusFunkframe.jpg

The picture was taken hand held with:
Canon Rebel Xt
EF 50mm f1.8
8+ Close up filter

Thanks in advance.

For me it does not work. When I look at it, I feel like some part of the picture should be sharp and that my eyes can't focus. Very disturbing!:scratch:

I better not ignore the frame.
For that gives me the viewcard feeling, and with a possible greeting card, viewcard, birthday card, whichever card in mind, I can live with the effect.
Though ... hm ... it makes me feel for my spectacles and if they are in place a little ;)... has a bit of a myoptic view to it. How did you go about for this softening?

Great shot. Im assuming you did the softening in PS. What does the original image look like. The reason I ask is, this would look great if the pistol (??? is that what its called?) was in sharp focus, and the petals soft. This would draw your eyes into the flower and give is depth.

From a non photography standpoint.. It would be kind of cool the middle being in focus and the rest as you have it. It hurts my eyes a bit and I don't know why. Its not horrible though

Isn't the word "stamen"?
I think I only learned that word through no where else but HERE :cheer: on TPF :cheer: (which has not only taught me ever so much about photography and pp treatment but also about the English language)!!! :biggrin:

then whats the pistol? oh, never mind, you know what I mean. The middle thingy...

Thanks everyone, and I think it is called the Stamin.

Unfortunately I did not do this in photoshop. Mother nature and an unsteady hand did it(it is a very very shallow DOF with the closeup filter). I would also have prefered to have the stamin in focus as well.

This pic just caught my attention with the colours and the 'glow' around the stamin. I really liked it, even though it is so soft.

I can try sharpening up the stamin when I get some time, but I would bet that I can't bring it out enough.

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back