Soft Light Metalic Skin Texture

Jonny Designs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not really an alternative photographic process, so I am putting this thread in the General Q&A - where I am sure it will get more views. Hopefully someone can help you out there!

Not sure, but that looks like it could have been done with make up, not with processing...I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. No idea how you would do it with software, but I'd be interested to find out.

Hi all,
I was thinking along the lines of how to create soft even studio light. I'm sure you'll know that high contrast and shadow will create dramatic effects in a photograph. However, this obfuscates the physical charateristics of the subject.
I need images where the contrast information is true to the geometry of the subject. ie., The brightest spot on the forhead is closest to you; as the shadows increase, it represents the
curve traveling deeper into the Z-plane. You can see this in the 3d glyph (as there called) http://www.gregglover.com/tutorials/face_tutorial/15_mouth_closeup.jpg
where the shadow under the lip and nose represents the depth.

I remember seeing a feature on Fashiontelevion.com about a photographer doing Black American figure studies in b/w with soft light, high res... ? Ring any bells?

Thanks, Jonny

What you're describing is not what you're showing.

If the shading on the example represented the Z plane then the top and bottom lips would be the same, the cheeks would be darker than any of the nose shading.

The example shows very normal light shading.

I wrote a stereogram program once that first of all converted a 3D model into the type of image you're describing - with shade representing depth. They look nothing like the examples you've shown.

If you are actually after the effect that you're describing rather than the one you're showing then you won't get it photographically. You may have to create a 3D computer model of the subject and then render a depth mask from it.

You're right, in a sense. The head as a whole is not shaded darker as the curves move back into the Z-plane. The above rendered face pic has a slight hotspot above the upper lip and flatly on the lower lip - indicating the light direction is above/left. For the most part the light is soft and even.

Here's a Maplethorpe which is a little closer to what I'm looking for
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/M/mapplethorpe/mapplethorpe_moody.html

Again, that's normal light shading.

Are you sure you actually want a depth mask? Here's an example. You may be able to use some kind of sonar/ultra-sound equipment to do it. I don't know.

Or do you just want the light to fade as it goes deeper into the shot? Having the light source closer to the subject with less power will do this. Also, having a very small light source will enhance the shadows. Think of a candle in front of someone's face - is that the type of thing you're after?

The texture of the skin is so smooth becuase of makeup. The makeup is not reflective. The lighting is what is drawing you to it. There is a med/small soft box front and above the model. There is a larger soft box front and low 1 - 2 stops lower than the key box.There is also small light source right of camera that is giving sparkle in the eyes. There is some kind of blue filtering going on, cant tell much from the small size of the shot.

Bill has the light scheme pretty much right on. The coloring is most likely post prod. photoshop.

Hi Bill,

I checked-out your workbook and I thought it was fantastic. You are down with the soft textures in metal, plastic and water. I guess what I'm after is shooting a face that will produce an image suitable for manipulating with Photoshop to produce a metalic mask.
This is image is low res. I washed it out with channel mixing but the lips get mashed.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=8a32&.dnm=a1dbscd.jpg&.src=phhttp://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/4353aaa7za9c62bf9/8a32/__sr_/a1dbscd.jpg?ph4fegDB8iD9MQco

Most reactions

Back