What's new

Softbox for Speedotron M90 lights

imstuner

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
90
Reaction score
5
Location
Bean Town
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any brand you guys recommend for my Speedotron M90 lights. I don't want some too expensive. I guess my budget is 100 to 150 if that's possible.
 
First of all you will need to attach the softbox using a speedring that fits your unit. The speedright alone is going for around 50.
 
The M90 has a fixed 8.5 inch reflector that is only removeable by undoing the screws inside the reflector, and so the vast,vast majority of speedrings labeled "for Speedotron" will simply NOT WORK, because they are for the two-lug Speedotron Universal Mount, which is used on the Brown Line M11 lights, and on ALL the Black Line Lights (102,103,202,206). However, what will work is a special speed ring made for the M90 light units, and which I know B&H Photo has in its inventory; one night I waded through something like 347 different accessories for Speedotron at the B&H web site, and on danged near the last page, I found the listing.

If my memory serves me correctly, its a Chimera-branded speed ring. It has about a four inch long metal rod that is screwed into the threaded hole on one side of the CHimera PVC-and-metal square-style speed rings; that aluminum rod is the same diameter as an umbrella shaft, and it allows you to put the rod through the M90's umbrella hole, from the back side of the light unit, and then to tighten the thumbscrew and thus hold the rod in the umbrella shaft receptacle. I have two of these,and they work great!!

Okay, here it is. THIS is the one you want for use with an M90 or MW3U light head. Chimera Speed Ring for Speedotron 2350 B&H Photo Video

A wide variety of manufacturer's softboxes will fit this ring: Photoflex, Chimera, and loads of e-Bay Chinese models.
 
Thanks for all your help guys.
 
So after doing some more research I can get a flashpoint II 320m with softbox for $149.99. The speedrings alone for each m90 heads are 39 to 49 each. I was thinking about getting 2 flashpoint instead and this way I'll have extra lights. What do you guys think about that?

Current setup Speedotron d604 power pack with 3 m90 heads.
 
Can you located some used Chimera-style Speedotron Universal speedrings? I've bought them for as little as $10 in rough shape, and $20 used in prime condition. All you need to make them into M90-capable speedrings is a roughly five inch piece of 3/8 inch diameter solid aluminum or brass rod, a hole drilled through that, and a screw. That's "it". The Chimera speed rings are already pre-tapped to accept the screw. File off a flat spot on the aluminum rod, and screw it onto the speedring's bottom.

What you need is basically a speed ring, with a short length of "umbrella shaft" diameter rod underneath it, to slide into the umbrella thread on the M90's umbrella block...so, it really does not matter too much what exact kind of speedring you start with, as long as you can screw on an "umbrella shaft" type of rod...

Some 320-M's would also be nice to have.
 
Thanks Derrel
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom