Softbox modified for softer light and ROUND catchlights

Dick Sanders

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dicksanders.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many of you have a square or rectangular softbox and have been living with squarish catchlights? Well, suffer no more. A small can of black fabric paint can give you ROUND catchlights for a more pleasing look.

All you have to do is paint the translucent white fabric on the front of your softbox, as I have done here, creating a circle through which the light passes. Note here the extra diffusion fabric hanging from the bottom that I clip over the front when even softer light is needed.

SoftBoxRoundCatchlights.jpg

In the next picture, you'll see the inside of the softbox (a Westcott Apollo Mono, based on an umbrella frame). The white fabric at left is the translucent front. The sides and back are reflective silver. Note the direction of the strobe head, aimed toward the back, so that the light first bounces off the silver reflective material, before punching through the white translucent fabric on the front.

SoftboxInside.jpg

In the final picture you can see the extra diffusion material clipped over the front of the softbox. This gives me one bounce and two diffusion (3 layer modification), for a very pleasing soft light with round catchlights. Yes, those are wooden clothespins.

SoftboxwithDiffusion.jpg

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity....what are you using for the second layer of diffusion material?

Do you really need the 3rd layer of material? It's not really making the light source any bigger, so therefore isn't really making the light any softer. The only benefit I can see, is that might lessen a hot spot in the centre that some lights/softboxes give you...but you won't have the problem anyway because the light is reflecting out off the back of the softbox anyway.

Big Mike: Yes, I've tested adding the second layer of diffusion and the light quality is made a little softer. But this may just be my box. Others with a little different type of material might behave differently. I shoot it with or without the 2nd layer, depending on the kind of light I want. But you're right -- the biggest benefit is the bounce with diffusion. Much better than straight shoot-thru, imo.

Feck painting my softbox material.. bit of cardboard with a circle cutout, job done! just seems a bit extreme unless you want it permanent of course.

Just out of curiosity....what are you using for the second layer of diffusion material?

I went to the fabric store and bought a couple of yards of a warm-white
nylon sheer material. It's doubled here.

K-Pugh: I did want it permanent on this box, ready to use as I prefer. But your method is certainly practical.

Or you could have got black material and cut a circle into it. Actually, you could cut any shape into it and thus give any shape to your catch lights. I seem to remember an instructor calling them cookie cutters or just cookies...something like that. Same idea applies to putting the shapes over your background lights to put shapes onto your background....or over your lens to shape your bokeh.

I wish I had studio space :(

You'll never get to my softboxes with your evil black fabric paint, never! :) - If you do I'll have to paint yours with my tartan paint :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back