Softbox question

skribnod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, just wondering if someone could tell me the difference between the more expensive $300+ softboxes and the $300 and below softboxes? I am aware that some have a lip around it to prevent spill light and others with different interiors (silver, white, ect.). Is there a really big difference between them? If so what are the disadvantages to the cheaper ones? Thanks for any help since I am looking for some for my Speedotron strobes.

I don't know for sure...as I haven't examined too many different ones...but I would imagine that some are stronger and more robust than others. Cheap ones may only have one diffusing screen where good ones will have two.

The lip around the edge is a good thing to have. I don't know if that is an add-on accessory or if it's just built in. Also, with some models, you can add a grid to the front, to further control the light spread.

Thanks mike, I was wondering since I have seen many with the same features but widely vary in price. I can't believe that a $600 softbox doesn't have a major advantage over a $150 with same features.

There may be subtle differences that are noticed only by those who actually use all the different models...but that's not me.

The Softbox that came with my little 150w/sec. kit (300w/sec total) for like, 250 has done an awsome job. One thing i have noticed is the direction of which the light source is pointed. Some will bounce on the back before going threw the diffusion screens while others go straight threw. The softbox i got from Interfit and it has the dual layers.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back