Software for importing & managing digital images & videos?

jwerner74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for advice on a program to use for importing images from my camera, and managing my collection. I am well aware that no program is needed to get the images off of the memory card, but I prefer to use software to import my images for the inherent organizational aspect (ie, if left to my own devices, I would not adhere to consistent organizational standards, if at all). These are the things I would prefer the program to do:
1. Keep track of the photos that are already in my collection, so that anytime I import, it will only bring in new pictures (we don't always empty our memory card each time we import, as my wife likes to also use the camera as a portable photo viewer).
2. Have the capability to upload to Facebook.
3. Offer either a picture tray (like Easyshare, or Picasa), and/or the ability to "check" multiple pictures. ie, I don't want to have to hold down the control key while selecting multiple pictures (for upload to Facebook, ordering prints, etc).
4. Give me options for establishing automatic naming conventions for the folder(s) that are created during import. We currently use folders named in mm-dd-yyyy format.
5. Allow me to have the aforementioned folders automatically named for the date the pictures were shot, not when they were imported.
6. (This would be a nice-to-have, but not absolutely necessary) Allow me the option to automatically create a backup copy of the files I'm importing in another location (such as an external hard drive), as the files are imported.
So far I've played around with Kodak Easyshare (what we currently use, since we have owned a Kodak camera for the last 7 years, but recently replaced it), Picasa, Nikon NXView2, and ACDsee. All of these programs do some of the above, but I haven't found one that does all of these. ACDsee comes closest, except that it doesn't do #1. If it did, I would gladly pay the $50 for the license, as it is a great piece of software otherwise. Are there any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you KmH! Someone on another forum also suggested Lightroom. Not to thumb my nose at good advice, but the thing is, all I am really looking for is the automation and customization of the import process, we don't really do much with editing our images after they've been imported. So for just that, the price tag of Lightroom is a little hard to swallow (although tempting, considering it will do all the things I'm looking for). Do you know of any cheaper programs that are geared more towards importing and managing, and not as heavy on the editing features? I guess it just kills me that there are a bunch of free programs out there that each do some of the 6 things I mentioned, but I have yet to find one program that does them all. Thanks again for the advice though, I may just have to download a free trial of Lightroom and see if I'm hooked. And unfortunately, my older daughter is a year away from kindergarten, so I'm not eligible for the student edition.

Only 1 of Lightroom 4's 7 modules is for editing.

Lightroom's main function is image database management.

Most reactions

Back