Software for viewing photos

rob91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For a month or so I've been using a free trial of Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0...was very nice for looking through photos. Unfortunately my trial just ran out. The Windows pic and fax viewer sucks...what software do you all use? Looking for something that is preferably free.

And this isn't software for editing...just to look through the photos, see which the good ones are. Thanks.

without knowing what OS your using; why not just just "my pictures" in XP, or there is picasa2 which is free and will allow you to view all the photos in a folder at one time.

I use Picasa2 and Jpegger. Both free. Each has it's strong points and depending on what I am doing I may have both of them open at the same time and jump back and forth to help with the work flow.

I use Picasa because my trial of Lightroom ran out but even if I purchased it, it does not seem to run well on my older laptop with on 500MB of RAM.

Picasa will read and convert RAW files and import directly from memory cards as well.

I've tried Picasa, and it's pretty decent for viewing a lot of images quickly. Plus, it's free.

Another free program that I use is Irfanview. It's designed not to be a resource hog, so it's good if you have an older machine and a lot of images.

Another free program that I use is Irfanview. It's designed not to be a resource hog, so it's good if you have an older machine and a lot of images.

I second that one! I've used Irfanview for a long time and they have a plug-in to view RAW images. It's simple and fast.

xnView ... but I do not use it for anything but looking at images.

Same here. Started using it after some teacher at my school told me that the default windows picture viewer destroys parts of your exif info.

Picasa is pretty sweet, thanks.

edit: Downloaded Picasa, Fastsone, and Irfanview...picasa seems to have the best features, but it baffles me that they make it so difficult to look through images in full screen...you have to hold down ctrl+alt, and even then it doesn't save your place as your moving through (if you get to img 30, and let go, you have to go back to img 1..unless you move your mouse to img 30) just a bit difficult.

Anyways, faststone accomplishes it much easier so IMO it's the better viewer, but PIcasa might be better for editing.

Most reactions

Back