Software Help

Thanks. I found out last night by installing the trial that if I decide to get it I will need to upgrade my graphics card to be able to utilize all the PS features. I am leaning toward not getting it for now.

Might want to do a little research on that. Even though my graphics card is on the list Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ Photoshop still won't work with it. I have to "deselect" Use Graphics Processor under the preferences tab. Doing so means I can't use some of the features like 3D but the features not available I don't use anyhow. I haven't noticed any slowdown, even with a lot of layers open.

As was already stated the Adobe vs... is a polarizing topic on the boards. I wonder if people didn't have so much time invested into learning their complex software if they would still be waiving it's flag. I've met some incredibly advance digital artists who love to showoff their Gimp skills (yes they have the full Adobe suite) At the end of the day it's still about our vision.

Some options you may want to look at and play with: Darktable, Affinity's Photo, Capture One $$$ and of course if you have a digital camera their software. Looking back I spent too much time in the darkroom not enough time just out shooting.

@jeffW all valid points, but I'll leave you with one other thought. We travel with a rather large 5th wheel, pulled with a one ton diesel dually. There are other cheaper tow options out there that will do the job. We could have gone with a gas engine, we could have gone with a 3/4 ton, I've even seen some people pull some large 5th wheels with a 1/2 ton. Usually these other options require multiple add ons to do the same thing we do, and yet they never quite measure up to the performance of ours. The towing experience is safer and less tiring, allowing me to travel further. In other words I can get the mundane out of the way with less effort so I can enjoy the fun things. Sort of the same way I look at any editing software.

I have the PS and LR subscription package, I only use LR for photo editing, I use PS for texturing for 3d work so for me I get best of both worlds for only £10 a month.

Best way to find out what is best for you is to download their 30 day trials and decide for yourself. Enjoy...

There's good options but there is also a 1000lbs gorilla in the room... I just went with Adobe for the same obvious reasons stated by others.
On a side note I went to cancel my subscription so I could buy a year before they raised the price but they have me 3 months for free!! Might be worth a try if you've had a subscription for awhile

Back up a bit here. What camera and do you intend to adopt a raw file workflow or make adjustments to camera JPEGs? Do you need or want database capability in the software (catalog and management)?

Joe
Much of my photography is film and I don't do RAW files on my digital, not that advanced yet, newbie. Don't need a data base.

Then you don't need LR and Photoshop for now. You can remain happy with what you already have or consider something like Affinity Photo to work with the scans from your film.

Should you get a new digital camera that saves raw files you can revisit the topic.

Joe

Thanks for all the comments, extremely helpful, have decided to hold off a while on getting Lightroom & Photoshop.

Someone said that a jpg photo has so little data that Photoshop can't work well with jpg photos.
That's just not true. I frequently shoot land photos and home construction photos in jpg and Photoshop does anything needed with them. Raw files are better but original jpg files work quite well.

Most reactions

Back