Software suggestions for editing and also making artwork from photos (Mac + Windows)

CamCracker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for software for mac and windows for editing photos, something that will add filters to photos, like toy camera looks, various different looks, and also software for making artwork from photos, like mosaics, oil paintings, different types of artwork (preferably free but am open to all suggestions).

What apps do you use and or what have you heard of or seen that will make my photos look different?

Artwork as in this:

http://angryunicorns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/percolated.jpg

that is an app for iphone. I have that app, and it works great, but I am moving all my photo editing on my computer. I'd like to use photo apps for my computer, not on the iphone.

and this:

http://www.jixipix.com/photo-artista/haiku/stylized.jpg

Let me know what you have to suggest. thanks! :D

I use Aperture for basic editing, and Pixelmator for more "design" and fancy stuff. Both can be bought for the Mac for less than $150.

I use Adobe Creative Suite on 1 machine, but as it's so expensive, I only have it on 1 machine.

For editing on other machines, I use The GIMP primarily, and sometimes I used to use Paint.net (not anymore though -- just the GIMP). They're both free.

For simple resizing, I use my own software, Photo Resizer because it's just a lot faster and easier. It's also free. (Disclaimer: I am the author of that software.)

For simple bulk operations for lots of files (thousands), I generally write my own software. e.g. Resizing, tagging and uploading to Flickr.

For renaming, I generally use "Bulk Rename Utility". (It's just as creatively named as my own software~! :) ) It's also free.

For artwork (vectors), on my other machines I use Inkscape.

If you're looking for a really good vector editor, see if you can find a cheap copy of Freehand. I don't know if it's available anywhere anymore though. It was really good.

I think The GIMP and Inkscape are the primary free ones.

For the GIMP, check for free plugins here:

GIMP Plugin Registry | A repository of optional extensions for the GIMP.

Keep in mind that it's free, and you'll need to browse around a bit to find what you're looking for.

I hope that helps out some.

I use Bibble Pro for RAW development and basic editing and corrections. For more PP I use Lightzone or Gimp. Gimp is free software, Lightzone and Bibble Pro are quite inexpensive.

Regards,

Joe

I'd prefer something free, and if paid, not that expensive, but thanks, any suggestions anyone?
Your OP didn't mention 'free'.
You get what you pay for, good luck.

I have the master collection, but at $2,600 USD per license (it's $4,500 where I live), it's is a lot and only justifiable for professionals or well-off individuals. Photoshop itself is quite expensive.

You *can* do amazing things with The GIMP. It just takes a lot more effort.

But like you say, you get what you pay for. I've been a Photoshop fan since v5. :)

(For audio, I much prefer Samplitude to Adobe's SoundBooth, though most audio pros use Pro Tools.)

I think it's worth the time to put into The GIMP for amateurs and hobbyists. I'm not a photography pro, but use Photoshop, Illustrator and other Adobe tools professionally, but if I were starting off in the field (as a hobbyist or amateur), I'd go with The GIMP then work my way up to Photoshop when I encountered brick walls.

How about paper and a paintbrush? That usually works well for me.

Most digital artwork requires vector graphics to be reproduced accurately (no pixelation).

Most photo editing applications are raster graphics applications that can pixelate when reproduced.

Most reactions

Back