Solarization

a.rodgers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been playing around with solarization for the first time, here are my results.

Before:
img011.jpg

After:
img012.jpg

Am I the only one here who doesn't know what "Solarization" is when applied to photography???

Thought it had something to do with X-rays or radiation or something...

Solarization is properly known as the Sabattier Effect. it used to be kind of trendy and funky. But it became a tired,worn-out cliche effect after a decade. Kind of like overly-processed pseudo-HDR images will become before too much longer.

Sabattier Effect - Google Images

I used to really enjoy making these types of prints back in the 1980's.

maybe patrick,

we do an experimental darkroom class from time to time and include solarization along with chemical painting, photograms and paper negatives. it is always fun

Solarization is defined as exposing a partially processed negative to diffused light. It is definitely not worn out or clichéed and often not even recognized.
oceanpointm2f_lune.jpg

The above shot is, of course, a daylight shot, taken in the summer time.
No one in several forums recognized it as being solarized.

skieur

to "solarize", i partially developed the print, and then pulled it out of the dektol and flashed it with 1 second of light, and then i continued to develop it as normal.

to "solarize", i partially developed the print, and then pulled it out of the dektol and flashed it with 1 second of light, and then i continued to develop it as normal.

So, have you done colour solarization? Do you have any examples to show?

skieur

Sadly no, the class im currently taking is black and white photography only :/

Sadly no, the class im currently taking is black and white photography only :/

Neither my mother, nor I, ever did black and white photography and my mother even shot colour in the 50's.

skieur

Solarization is defined as exposing a partially processed negative to diffused light. It is definitely not worn out or clichéed and often not even recognized.
oceanpointm2f_lune.jpg

skieur

Very interesting photo.

I thought Solarization and Sabattier Effect were different effects. As I recall Sabattier Effect is done then a print or negative is exposed to light in the developing step. And that Solarization is from extreme overexpose and is not very common with modern films.

I thought Solarization and Sabattier Effect were different effects. As I recall Sabattier Effect is done then a print or negative is exposed to light in the developing step. And that Solarization is from extreme overexpose and is not very common with modern films.

Well, if you are exposing the film to light during the developing process, one of the characteristics of the look is likely to be over-exposure in black and white.

Another characteristic is reversed tones, which makes it possible to change day into night...as in a light grey sky becomes black in colour solarization. Dark ground can become snow etc.

skieur

oceanpointm2f_lune.jpg

skieur

I would love to know how to do this in the digital world

In the digital world, solarization is generally included with software filter and photo effects plug-ins to Photoshop and other editors. They have developed an algorithm which mimics the process and how it changes with the time of the exposure.

skieur

Most reactions

Back