Sold photo - customer wants print numbered

Ok. So you dont ever have to actually print 200 of them, but thats the max number you can do in one particular size.

Correct...

What leads someone to pick a larger or smaller number?

The number chosen suggests a level of exclusivity. A smaller number can translate to a higher price.

I have a photograph of a guitarist that I shot a few years ago:

10968172156_2709aa3933_c.jpg

I have it limited to 100 prints. The first is hanging in my office. The second was given to the guitarist. The third was donated to a benefit concert in Illinois for a silent auction (where it sold for $650.00). The fourth, fifth and sixth ones were sold to people who simply wanted to buy it.

The first three were not numbered. The three that were sold were numbered 4/100, 5/100 and 6/100.

I took that photo, if I recall correctly, four years ago. At the rate I'm going, if I'm doing the math right, I'll sell print #100 in the year 2070.

"100" seems like a pretty safe number...

Last edited:
:thumbup:

more than safe i would say :)

For years I have use the number 25, i always keep no. 1 and altho i sell from time to time, I have not come close to 25 :) This includes silver gelatin prints, platinum prints, van dyke, whatever

You're not just "writing a number on it" you're making a commitment, a legally binding. To a very large extent you get to set the terms of that commitment, but before you go scribbling numbers on things you should think it through.

Well, I think I made him a happy puppy ... I checked my invoices and I've actually printed this shot 5 times before ... in different sizes. I gave him 6/125. I also started a file of photos/prints that have limited runs, and the number I sell. I talked to the lady at the gallery also and she mentioned that I should begin numbering all of my photos - she says it makes the photograph appear more valuable .. note that she said 'appear'. However, "Art" is subjective, and if someone will pay more for one that's numbered, than that inherently makes it worth more... When I number the photos, I'll always make it a reasonable figure, with due consideration given.

I appreciate all the comments ... :wink:

r

What leads someone to pick a larger or smaller number?

"The number chosen suggests a level of exclusivity. A smaller number can translate to a higher price."

That would make sense, however, wouldn't the other also be true? ... When you come towards the end of the run, wouldn't they then become even more desirable (expensive), because shortly the printing process will end and they'll become less available.. ??

I dont' know ..... but - after these replies, as well as talking to the Gallery owner, I'm gonna begin the numbering program. Certainly wouldn't hurt as long as I do it with integrity, and ... who knows - perhaps I can raise my prices a little... :mrgreen: It 'is' a unique photograph however, but I still can't imagine printing more than the 125 that I put on the print.. After all, I'm 67 ... I'll be happy if I live long enough to pick up the photos that I sent to Costco this morning !!

:eek:ldman:

r

I number mine X/50, and I will only ever sell 50 of that print, regardless of size.

I've told customers before if they ever want to resize theirs that they own the serial and they can give me the old one to destroy and I'll print them a new one at whatever size they want (lesser fee- basically covers the difference plus some handling money). No one has ever taken me up on this.

To date I believe my highest number is like 12 or 13. I doubt I'll hit 50 before I die on most of my images.

That would make sense, however, wouldn't the other also be true? ... When you come towards the end of the run, wouldn't they then become even more desirable (expensive), because shortly the printing process will end and they'll become less available.. ??

That might be true, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the number of prints made available.

Using that approach, should a person only print a single example of every image, because that would mean it would meet the end of its run a lot sooner and would, therefore, be worth more money sooner.

My experience has taught me that the fact that a print is simply numbered far outweighs the number assigned to it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back