Sold photo - customer wants print numbered

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
B&W Print on metallic paper, matted on white, and framed, sold at my gallery.. The Gallery called and the client wants me to come in and 'number' the print. First, let me say that I think the numbering of current/modern photographs are kina foolish and misleading. This isn't the kind of art where the original 'plate' will deteriorate, as the first printing of a digital file will be as good as the last. Hell, the numbering of photographs just started recently... Ansel didn't even number his photographs (As far as I know).. However, the argument goes like this: if it is limited it must be good. And if it is good it must be expensive. And if it is expensive it needs to be limited. And if it is limited it is good..

However, that said, I'm all for "Giving them what they want"...

My question is as follows. When you number an image printed on Metallic photo paper, and then print another on Luster, or pearlescent paper, does that numbering sequence continue, or do you number the exact finished process, and begin another with another type of finish. You know that a photograph printed on Metallic paper, and one that is printed with a Matte finish look totally different. Are they, in the numbering world, the same product - or different, with different numbering series? What about one printed on paper, say, 5/100, and then you have one finished on Canvas, is that now 6/100 ?

I'm gonna run now, and go number a mat on a photograph where it really doesn't mean anything, but was just wondering .... and thinking.

thanks,

r

I agree with your sentiments, but I have NO idea about the answer to your question. Personally, I guess I'd consider it as a limited edition of metal prints versus a limited edition of luster prints, so I'd probably number them separately. If I were inclined to ever number them at all. But trust me, if I had a limited edition of 100, and someone wanted to buy #101, I'd figure OUT a way to make it happen. :D

Oh, and I hope you numbered that mat as "2/100." If they want the FIRST one in the limited edition, that costs extra. :lmao:

A standard that is pretty widely used is to consider the print dimensions the key factor. If you are selling an 8" x 10" print, and you number it 1/50, you commit to selling no more than 49 more prints of this picture in an 8" x 10" format. 16" x 20" is OK, 10" x 12.5" is also OK, and so on.

A limited number of "Artists's Proofs" are also acceptable, usually 2-3, which should be labelled as such.

Limited editions come in two varieties: The most common never some close to selling out. The rare few sell out, and then the artist wishes they'd numbered that first one 1/500 rather than 1/25.

An idea Mike over at ToP has come up with is to make it unlimited, but to increase the price over time. The first 10 sell for $100, the next 10 for $500, and so on.

I think the numbering of current/modern photographs are kina foolish and misleading.
Serious collectors don't find it foolish or misleading.
Numbered and sequenced limited editions help define the value of what they collect.

From a business perspective, it is a time honored sales technique.

My question is as follows. When you number an image printed on Metallic photo paper, and then print another on Luster, or pearlescent paper, does that numbering sequence continue, or do you number the exact finished process, and begin another with another type of finish. You know that a photograph printed on Metallic paper, and one that is printed with a Matte finish look totally different. Are they, in the numbering world, the same product - or different, with different numbering series? What about one printed on paper, say, 5/100, and then you have one finished on Canvas, is that now 6/100 ?

I doubt there's anyone selling anything here that a number on a print would really mean anything or make it more "valuable".

When you're buying Art it's not at all unreasonable to want some reassurance that you're not buying something that's going to be everywhere next year. This isn't Decor, this is Art.

That's all a number is, a reassurance that this won't be all over the place.

I doubt there's anyone selling anything here that a number on a print would really mean anything or make it more "valuable".

And you're probably exactly correct.

It needs to be pointed out, though, that no one here is buying it.

If a client wants a numbered print from me, you can bet your last dime that's what he's going to get. If I make it "#82/250", the client is happy, and I'm content in the knowledge that I'll probably not need to sell 251 of those prints...

Really?
the customer who purchased Ottors print from the gallery seems to think otherwise.

"Your work is only worth what someone is willing to pay"

true statement. You may think its worth more or less, but the above statement is true. Someone's willing to pay more for putting a number on it? Put a number on it.

I would explain to the customer that your prints are not numbers because you do not limit prints of an image to a set number of prints. if they still insist on it being numbered then have some fun and number it like this

d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png
-1/
d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png

You're not just "writing a number on it" you're making a commitment, a legally binding. To a very large extent you get to set the terms of that commitment, but before you go scribbling numbers on things you should think it through.

I know next to nothing about galleries or selling prints in them, so if someone could educate me on this.....

If you put a number on a print, say, 1 of 200.
are you saying that you already HAVE 200 prints of that picture, and that one is just the first? Or are you saying that you will only print a maximum of 200 and as of right now, that one could be the only one?

You can probably make an argument for any substantial visual difference separating "editions", but as KmH points out, usually the size is used as the indicator. The number /200 indicates that no more than 200 will ever be made available for sale in this edition, which is usually in that size.

Color versus b&w would probably be fine. Glossy paper versus matte would be.. iffy. Silver vs. platinum? I dunno! I bet that one's never been tested in court!

Ok. So you dont ever have to actually print 200 of them, but thats the max number you can do in one particular size.
What leads someone to pick a larger or smaller number?

Most reactions

Back