Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

could you be please so kind and help me to understand howto interpret the scores and measurements on DXOMark for these lenses

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Nikkor Test Review © 2005 KenRockwell.com
Nikon 70-300mm VR
Nikon 55-300mm VR

in various reviews there has been said from multiple authors, that specifically 70-300mm f4-5.6 (oldest non-VR model) is not great, soft on 200mm+ and so on whilst on DXOMark, if you check the measurements and scores and field map, they seem nicely sharp (say 300mm at f8-11) .. Doesn't matter if I will change the camera model to FX ...

I want to buy (actually Santa will bring them :p) some second-hand n-300mm lens for my d7200 (the longest what I have now is 18-140mm) and I am not sure which I should just go for ... Price matters, I didn't want to spend more than $200 for used one ..

so there are two questions:

1) how (the hell) should I interpret the scientific measurements on DXOMark when reviews say that specific lenses are just soft on 200mm+ but DXOMark says they are great

2) what n-300mm you'd suggest for my d7200 DX ... I think that FX lenses are good and maybe even better for me for obvious reason (sharper at center and so on ..)

thanks and regards, Dan

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here are the summaries of the three lenses you have chosen. DxOMark.com does not list the D7200 for comparison purposes, so I used a D7100, which is a very similar camera. I have a D7200 and the 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR so I know they are compatible. Looking at Ken Rockwells Nikon lens compatibility guide [ Nikon Lens Compatibility ], it looks like the other 2 lenses will work as well and will auto focus in all modes. Of course, a VR lens is a big plus at the longer focal lengths, which kind of throws the non VR lens under the bus early.

The sharpness ratings all say that out of the 24 mega pixels in the sensor, you will get an image with 8 or 9 useable (perceived) mps, but even the "better" DX glass like the Nikon 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 will only give you about 11 perceived mps. The Transmission is a measure of lens efficiency and it says even though the 3 lenses are rated at f/4.5 wide open they are actually closer to f/5.1, f/5.2, and f/5.3. What that means is about 1/2 stop of light that gets into the lens never makes it to the sensor producing images with less contrast when compared to more efficient lenses. As a practical matter, it means try to avoid shooting towards the sun and always use your lens hood. I kind of ignore distortion, vignetting (light fall off in the corners), and chromatic aberration (green and purple halos around edges) as they are easily fixed in post processing software such as LightRoom, but the middle lens is significantly worse than the other 2 in chromatic aberration.

So IMHO, by this chart, either of the VR lenses will work well for you, but the last one has a bit more range. Again, I have the last one and have gotten good results with it on my D7200, but it's not the best lens in my arsenal. I see them selling for about $200 used in excellent condition at KEH.com. I hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!

Nikon 300s.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ntz
Hello Strodav,

thanks much for you input .. And thanks for elaborating that .. My concern was a little different .. It seemed to me, that DXOMark are in contrast with written reviews of hardware. It doesn't make a big change but I use for DXOMark charts a D5600 because actually it's closer to D7200 than D7100 (it has physically same chip, same processor and so on ..)

Nikon 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR DX - my kit lens, 18-140 is universal swiss knife .. maybe could be a bit sharper, but meh ... it's in skill
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G DX - my second lens, bought ?10/2019
Tokina AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 PRO DX - ultrawide lens for lenscape .. lovely ultrasharp, better usable than previous 11-16mm, bought 11/2020
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR G ED FX - my latest addition .. I have this lens for few days, haven't test them much but they seem great, bought 12/2020

comparison here .. I believe, that I have better than great coverage of 11-300mm for my D7200 crop sensor camera .. so I can proudly cut myself from obsessive researching what hardware should I get - which what I did in past two months (with result above)

this CV19 crap drove me greatly to photography so I am actually grateful to it in certain perverted sense :D ..

thanks and regards, dan

ps. I can mark thread solved since I've already bought second hand 70-300mm, that was topic and matter of this thread

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back